coffee stout Greg hughes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkeuk

Reaction score
hi all
whos done this one out the bible
I like a coffee touch to my dark beers but how strong is the coffee touch in this one with 500ml of fresh roast coffee and 250g of roasted barley
any advice would b great
cheers

I have the book. Did a coffee stout, not from the book but punching my own recipe through the recipe builder. It was a small extract batch of 6 litres. I added 4 ESE Coffe pods, 2 regular and 2 moccha steeped in half a litre of cold boiled water and put in fridge overnight. Added to FV when batch primming and bottling.
First taste(very early) was quite a pronounced coffee hit. Since then it seems to have been assimilated with just a slight aroma and little real coffee hit, But it has turned into a really nice pint and would do it again.
Have done a few really nice extract brews and i might actually say that this is possibly the best so far:thumb:

Cheers chub looking forward to doing this one 👍

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I know it's not the GH recipe but when I've added coffee to stout kits I've found it's very easy to overdo the coffee however I've added it in. I'm definitely of a mind that less is more as I've found that the coffee can steam roller over all the other flavours in the stout.

I was going to do the GH vanilla bourbon stout, ordered the grains and then changed my mind and added a triple strength cold brewed single serving cafetiere. The coffee is quite prominent, but the grain bill had quite a roasty/coffee smell/quality to it during fermentation.

It's now had 10 in the bottle and is a lovely smooth pint, that goes down too well for just under 7%...

Cheers guys
Think I'm going to do as per recipe but only half the coffee

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back