Cold break and Lagers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitoog

Reaction score
I brewed a lager earlier and added the yeast,two packs of safale-23 at 7C. There is about an inch of cold break at the bottom of the fermenter now as I forgot to rack the beer to another fv before adding the yeast. Well anyway anyone know should I just leave as is now or if I transfer now will enough yeast be carried over to another fermenter ?. I really need to get a ss mesh hop strainer sorted :D . I plan to start ferment at 7C then raise to fermentation temp of 10C over a few days. I will post up the recipe later, its a lager from brewing classic styles.

Just leave it there - the yeast will sort it all out. I use a CFC to chill my beer so all the cold break always ends up in the primary and it has never effected any of my beers.

good stuff, really looking forward to see how this lager turns out. Luckily I have an ale ready for bottling next week, could be two months before I am drinking the lager :( .

Subcategory: Bohemian Pilsener
Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 27 liters
Volume Boiled: 27.01 liters
Mash Efficiency: 80 %
5.35 kg. Pilsner Malt
0.4 kg. Weyermann Carapils®/Carafoam®
47.58 g. Czech Saaz (Whole, 3.8 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
59.47 g. Czech Saaz (Whole, 3.8 %AA) boiled 30 minutes.
33.3 g. Czech Saaz (Whole, 3.8 %AA) boiled 10 minutes.
33.3 g. Czech Saaz (Whole, 3.8 %AA) boiled 1 minutes.
Yeast: Fermentis S-23 Saflager S-23

Latest posts

Back