Cold crashed for 7 days+

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
I’ve not been using a fridge for very long so not sure the answer to this question. I cold crashed a beer last week and it’s been at 0.5-1C for a week. Through a combination of work and laziness, it might be ten days total by the time I get round to bottling. Do folks think there will be enough yeast to bottle condition or should I add a little at bottling? The yeast used is a second generation Vermont yeast and the beer is 4.8%. I’m leaning towards not adding more yeast as it’s not a super flocculant yeast and it shouldn’t be too stressed. I’m also not fussed if it takes a little longer than usual to carb up.

Yeah, I've done that no problemo. Took a bit longer to carb up that's all. Plus side is nice clear beer with little sediment

I think you'll be ok. As you said it's not a very flocculant yeast.

I once double cold crashed an IPA - once in primary before racking to secondary for dry hopping, then again just before bottling. IIRC it took about 4 weeks to fully carbonate

Yeah fine. I've left a flocculant strain almost 2 weeks and it took 2 to 3 weeks to carb properly but had the least sediment of any beer I've brewed.

i lost a very very hoppy IPA to oxidation through extended cold crash, i think i stupidly left it for about 2 weeks. I was just using a small bubbler on top, and as it cooled it sucked back in air which i believe caused the oxidation. looked and tasted great before the cold crash, then at bottling it was looking a bit muddy, then after carbing it was muddy brown and had a taste of sherry to it.

Haven't had this problem when just doing normal ales and 1-2 days cold crash. i read somewhere that very hoppy styles suffer from this. As a result i will not be cold crashing hoppy ones in future, as i don't really care about clarity if im honest, just the taste :)

… I cold crashed a beer last week and it’s been at 0.5-1C for a week. …
Ooo … be very careful.

You might of rediscovered "lagering".

But on the plus side: You don't feel so stupid saying "lagering" as you do saying "cold crash".

(No-one will ever make me like that phrase!).

Back