Cold crashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete83

Reaction score
Can anyone help relieve concerns over cold crash suck back? I've been advised to CC at 1c or 2c for a week which I'm happy to do but has its my first go a bit nervous. All I've read is doom and gloom!

I'm using a standard plastic FV with hole in lid for blow off pipe in fermentation fridge. I'm concerned the vacuum this creates will pop the lid and also reading it could drink back a litre of starsan!

Help!...please.

Fit an in-line tap to the blow-off tube. Close the tap when you commence crash cooling. Sure the lid will get sucked down a little if your FV is truly airtight, but that's of no consequence.

You don't have a waterlock? Because when you're in the cold-crash phase, there is no need for blowoff anymore.
And I think it will pop the lid in, a bit, but apart from a bit condensed water dripping down, there is not much to worry extra about.

GerritT,
Do I remove the jar of starsan but keep the blow off tube attached or remove everything and leave the hole exposed?

I'm guessing you prefer to keep the hose attached with the valve fitted Gunge?

Cheers Gunge, I'll track down a valve and follow your previous advice too! :thumb:

Excuse my ignorance GerritT but what is a waterlock? I'm guessing I should have one?

I assume a water-lock is the same as an airlock, if this the case don't you run the risk of sucking what is inside the airlock into the brew?

Fit an in-line tap to the blow-off tube. Close the tap when you commence crash cooling. Sure the lid will get sucked down a little if your FV is truly airtight, but that's of no consequence.

hallow m8,
@Gunge
just got my few braincell working but bit cofused on a in line thing!
any link to show me please?
is this the thingy lol
CPOX3WS.jpg

thx so much
Bri

Last edited:
Eyup Bri. Yes that's it. Tap stays open throughout fermentation, then close it when you start to crash-cool. When it comes to packaging your beer, don't open the tap or it will immediately suck up whatever the end is submerged in, thus defeating the object in an instant! Gently open the lid to relieve the vacuum and proceed...

Eyup Bri. Yes that's it. Tap stays open throughout fermentation, then close it when you start to crash-cool. When it comes to packaging your beer, don't open the tap or it will immediately suck up whatever the end is submerged in, thus defeating the object in an instant! Gently open the lid to relieve the vacuum and proceed...

ayup pal,
thx for that....easy when ya know how ta dee it...hahaha!! me n my bad brain does trick on my thinking....that my excuse n I stick with that lol.
got the pisner temp at 14c so far so if I order one o them taps it should be here so0n...them I can cold crash...
thx againg m8 appreciate you taking time.
Bri

Latest posts

Back