Commercial Corny cleaning.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicB

Reaction score
Anyone know how commercial beverage suppliers go about cleaning and sanitising Corny kegs before refill.
I can't imagine they reach inside and manually scrub and shake Etc.
I guess the lids are soaked whilst the the kegs are worked on.
Is steam used? High pressure jetting maybe?
N¡ck

High temperature jet wash
Hot caustic soak
Rinse
Sanitiser (peracetic acid, starsan or similar)

Used to work in a micro brewery,
We had a few cornys knocking arround for staff usage.
We would just take out the dip tube, them put the corny on the cask washer and leave the diptube, post, and lid in the area the cleaning solution drained out of the cask.

Cleaning solution was a caustic soda and thin bleach mix

2 mins and it was all cleaned and rinsed.

Last edited:
I've read that you shouldn't use bleach on stainless steel?

When I clean a keg I rinse out the big bits of **** with water, then fill with water and oxy, give it a shake and leave it for a while (sometimes days if I'm busy or lazy). I then rinse that out, fill with starsan, give that a shake about, then blow that out of the beer out tube until there's just gas coming out. I know then that there's no air, beer or **** in the keg and it can sit about waiting to get filled.

Sometimes I've forgotten to go back to blow out the starsan and have ended up with 5 litres of fizzy sanitiser :D

N.B. I'm clearly not a commercial brewery.

I've read that you shouldn't use bleach on stainless steel?

When I clean a keg I rinse out the big bits of **** with water, then fill with water and oxy, give it a shake and leave it for a while (sometimes days if I'm busy or lazy). I then rinse that out, fill with starsan, give that a shake about, then blow that out of the beer out tube until there's just gas coming out. I know then that there's no air, beer or **** in the keg and it can sit about waiting to get filled.

Sometimes I've forgotten to go back to blow out the starsan and have ended up with 5 litres of fizzy sanitiser :D

N.B. I'm clearly not a commercial brewery.

Weather it's right or wrong I don't know. But I'm pretty sure it's ok as long as it's not a prolonged soaking, quick contact and then rinse I think is fine.

Anyway we used this caustic bleach mix for washing casks (and cornys) and also the cleaning and sanitizing of the cold side CIP loop, SS FVs, pipes and pumps.

All over many years and thousands of brews without the bleach causing any problems, sooooooooo

Latest posts

Back