Commercial Lager recipe needed...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanManley

Landlord.
Reaction score
Not a question I ever thought I'd ask...

I need a commercial Lager (Peroni, Staropramen) type recipe. It's to try and convert a lager drinker to craft beer/ale but very subtly.

It needs to be more "bland" than hoppy but need to be drinkable by people with tastebuds too! 😂

Any ideas?

Was totally surprised how clean and crisp this turned out considering it is fermented with an ale yeast!

How about 5KG of pilsner malt, 300g of carapils. Mash at 66°C. Neutral hops like magnum, to about 20 IBU at the start of the boil, then 30g of Saaz at 15 minutes. Then (here's the sneaky bit) 30g of Cascade at fame out. Ferment with saflager w-34/70 at 10-14°C.

I've not run that through a calculator but you should end up with a reasonable strength pilsner, not too bitter, with a noticeable but pretty subtle hoppy aroma and flavour from the Cascade.

If you want to be extra sneaky you could swap the pisner malt for Maris Otter to give it a slightly more toasty aleish flavour.

Latest posts

Back