consensus on 'best' coopers stout recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodsi

Reaction score
Having read the coopers stout review there are a number of recipes to make a good stout.

Now I do appreciate that the answer is completely subjective but... what is the best recipe? What are your experiences?

I did one at the end of last year with just i kg of brew enhancer ant it was a lovely pint. I have done my second one now with 1 kg muscavado sugar, 500gm extra dark dme and 400 gms treacle. Its bottled and in the warm cupboard, so i cant give an accurate review as yet, but the treacle came through quite strongly when i tasted the sample. I have since had one from the warm cupboard and it was very drinkable. Time will tell and i'll post back with result. :cheers:

Excellent, I was thinking 1kg extra dark spraymalt. Not sure on the treacle... but am very open to ideas!

dodsi said:
Excellent, I was thinking 1kg extra dark spraymalt. Not sure on the treacle... but am very open to ideas!
I did mine with a kilo of extra dark and it was superb mate

I just wanted to experiment, and raise the abv a bit. Ended up 5.8-6ish abv so pleased with that.

I am not too concerned about abv, flavour is everything to me. I am just digging into a festival pride of london porter and it is ok... not amazing. And coming in at about 5% and has been in the keg since mid december. Looking for an upgrade in the coopers stout.

1 x tin Coopers Stout + 1 x tin Coopers Dark Malt Extract. With a bit of extra sugar if you want more ABV.

I've done back-to-back comparisons with various combinations of sugar, spraymalt and enhancer, and the above is best IMHO - seems to be much richer than using the dried ingredients. :D

Would that be a whole 1.8kg tin of the dark malt extract? Instead of suger could I add 500g extra dark spraymalt?

i have done it using 1kg dark sparaymalt and it was quality, just had a taster from the fermenter of my next recipe, 1kg brew enhancer + 500g molasses sugar and it promises to be great once more

I went with 500g extra dark DME, a 454g tin of treacle and 1kg of dextrose brewing sugar. ABV was 5.2% before priming.

The pint is fantastic and I'll definitely be doing it again. I think it can be improved, for my tastes, so I'm going to do it the following way the next time..

1kg Extra Dark DME
600g Brewing Sugar
225g of Dark Treacle

My thinking is based on the strength of the treacle vs the strength of the other flavours. I've doubled up the dark DME to really bring through the stout flavour, the dark treacle is staying where it is as it brings a fantastic lip smacking taste (I'm just toning it down a bit). The 600g of brewing sugar is just to make sure the strength is where I like it, can be adjusted to suit. The above will work out 4.9% before priming, so will be just a touch over 5% when all is said and done. Ideal :D

My first I did by the book and it was fine but a bit thin for my tastes.

The second, I used 500g demerara, 500g dark molasses and 250g dextrose. This has now been conditioning for three weeks and tastes fantastic. The taste of molasses is quite strong but not overpowering.

The next time I do a Coopers Stout, I'll be using dark DME and molasses but I'm probably going to use 1500g DME to get the ABV up.

ScottM said:
I went with 500g extra dark DME, a 454g tin of treacle and 1kg of dextrose brewing sugar. ABV was 5.2% before priming.

The pint is fantastic and I'll definitely be doing it again. I think it can be improved, for my tastes, so I'm going to do it the following way the next time..

1kg Extra Dark DME
600g Brewing Sugar
225g of Dark Treacle

My thinking is based on the strength of the treacle vs the strength of the other flavours. I've doubled up the dark DME to really bring through the stout flavour, the dark treacle is staying where it is as it brings a fantastic lip smacking taste (I'm just toning it down a bit). The 600g of brewing sugar is just to make sure the strength is where I like it, can be adjusted to suit. The above will work out 4.9% before priming, so will be just a touch over 5% when all is said and done. Ideal :D
Yeah scott, i think i would reduce the treacle also, although mine is still in the warm after bottling, im a bit concerned of too much treacle flavour comming through, but as ive stated it should be very drinkable.

Back