Controlling the fermenting temperature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rankine

Reaction score
I have just started brewing my 4th brew (Australian Pale Ale), checking the temp I have noticed its a good 4 degrees lower than the previous 3, now there's no probs with this brew its fermenting away nicely. However it got me thinking that as we approach winter and the temps drop massively keeping the temp up while fermenting is going to be a challenge.

What advice can you guys offer to help keep the temp up when brewing, I'm using the coopers brewing kit.

Cheers

You can build yourself a fermenting cupboard and insulate it then fit a tube heater connected to a temp controller like an ATC800 or an STC1000. If you are really cleaver you could use an old fridge with a heater in as those two temp controllers can be used to switch on cooling as well.

For a cheaper option heating belts or a water bath with an aquarium heater in it. These two options wont give you as good a control over the temp, which is important you don't want your temps going above 21c. :thumb:

If you are putting an aquarium heater in the beer doesn't necessarily give you a good ambient temp throughout the beer you may end up with hot spots way above fermentation temp so a water bath is better, either way you will need a temp controller. :thumb:

Hi Rankine,

I use a brew belt and a temp controller from our sponsor (see temperature controllers in the ad section) more outlay than an ST1000 but no wiring needed and it works fine for me in the winter

Latest posts

Back