Cooler help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JABB

Reaction score
Guys, can you answer some questions on my cooler please
Now, I understand beer in and beer out. What is the water in and out? I think it is for cooling a python but not sure. If I don't need it, do I need to loop it in and out?
What is the black round thing to the far left for?
imageobg.jpg

The round black hole has a slide cover. I presume you fill this with water? How do you know when to stop filling, and do you need to keep it topped up? Does it use water somehow or is this the water for the python cooler? Is there some form of pump in these for the water circulation?

imageddi.jpg

Water in and out are for the recirc line. If you don't need this then you will need to loop them together with beer line or cold water will be pumped out of it.

The "black round thing" looks like the overflow and the hole at the top is for the water. Place the cooler where you want it and pour water into the top until it comes out of the overflow. Then switch it on.

Check the levels every so often but i've rarely had to top mine up. Python pump is integrated and when you turn it on you should see and feel movement in the beer line.............or just leave it disconnected and soaken your floor!!

:thumb:

es it is an overflow hole it should have a red cap on it so when its full you can plug it. The water in and out are useful as you can connect a line to a product coil that will control fermentation temp. It just needs rigging up to a tc 10 or similar. Then would need a probe immersed in your wort along with the product coil. The cooler will control fermentation temp and at the same time serve chilled ale

I use my recirc (on a Maxi 110 cooler) through a cooling pod. This produces something akin to 'cellar temperature' for my cask-style beer - 12 to 13c. I think the internal coils tend to get the beer too cold (if there's no thermostat adjustment), 'cos they're targeted at lager, cider etc. But hey, different strokes for different folks...

airymary said:
I use my recirc (on a Maxi 110 cooler) through a cooling pod. This produces something akin to 'cellar temperature' for my cask-style beer - 12 to 13c. I think the internal coils tend to get the beer too cold (if there's no thermostat adjustment), 'cos they're targeted at lager, cider etc. But hey, different strokes for different folks...
Any pics?
That sounds like a plan

also remember that these things are designed to stand upto pint after pint being poured during rush/busy hours..

they build up an ice wall to act as a cold sink to cope with heavy demand, its unlikely you will pour pints at a rate to tax it..

i installed a easy read temp dial into the recirc loop so i can monitor the water bath temp..
7829772994_324ea38328.jpg

this tells me when its cooled down to 0C, and is at optimum cooling, which takes 20-50mins depending on when last used and the ambient temp... if ran the night before some cold is retained and it takes less time to chill down.

if you rely on the internal thermostat it will cut off after hours of chilling and after building up a nice ice wall this may be overkill for your needs pouring 3-4 pints in an evening..

be mindful of this and you may only need to turn it on for 30 mins each evening, with a timer set to turn it on 1/2 an hour before your due home in the evening, and a nice cold pint will await you..

If you put some of the details of it into google you might be able to find out who manufactured it and send for some instructions or better still :eek: , be able to download them.

I think i can help is this one with coils which the beer goes through to get to the bar but has cooled water in the box so the beer gets chilled?

Back