Coopers bottle exploded

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleik

Reaction score
Hi, I had a coopers PET bottle explode a bit ago (a split formed in the base of it, can only assume too much pressure), after I thought the brewferm Tripel I had in there had finished priming.

Short of space and not wanting this to happen again, I made sure I de-gassed the rest of them frequently, so they were way under the danger line.

I now have very tasty but by and large flat beer. I know I'm being overly cautious, but some of these are for a wedding in two days, and the thought of one exploding over someone's dress is too agonising to entertain! Once bitten...

On the drive over to the venue, I'm actually hoping to agitate them a little in the car and get the pressure to a better level (possibly a naïve thought).

My question: is there a way I can guarantee these won't explode? I'm thinking don't screw them so tightly. Does that makes the cap and thread the weakpoint, and therefore a more controlled redressing of pressure, however that might happen?

This is all a bit late in the day, but would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I way over carbonated a mild about 6 months ago, none of the bottles exploded but I had one shoot out the bottle like a rocket. I degassed them once a week after that for about 4 weeks, since then as long as they've been cold they have been fine.

Many thanks for the response, I've a feeling cooling them will make them even lower carbed as the pressure is lowered. I'll see what I can do, just definitely don't want to the wedding to be remembered for a ridiculous accident, so I'm definitely erring on the side of caution

Back