Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK........so my third brew and after reading all good things on here decided to give it a whirl. Made up the kit with 500g of DME, 500g Dextrose and a tin of treacle (494g). Then like a fool forgot to take a OG :roll: Anyway pitched yeast at 22C and it has been at that constantly for 9 days now. NO big fermentation no bubbles at all from airlock however there was an inch or two of froth so I think something has happened! Tested gravity today and it is 1018. Question is do you think that's about right or too high? Gonna leave it at least another week anyway before priming but any advice will be most appreciated!

:cheers:

sdgtiger

Mine is a similar story, but seems to be stuck at 1015. I gave it a stir at the weekend but that hasn't moved anything. I'm thinking perhaps trying a re-pitch.

Yeah thinking of a possible re-pitch too. Going to leave it till next Monday; that will have been 16 days then and if still stuck at 1018 then will wack in another packet and leave for a bit longer! On the plus side it smells gorgeous :)

Started mine today, chucked in 1kg Extra dark spray malt, 500g Brewing sugar, half(ish) tin of treacle, and a bottle of Lyons Chocolate syrup.

Topped to around 22L as at 20L it was looked like it would head just above 6% :nah:
Got the gravity to around 1.054ish

Trying it in the cellar to see if it will be warm enough down there as it's about 14-18 and my back 'brewing' room is probably in the high 20s at present

Well I transferred to another FV to get some air into it, added more nutrient & re-pitched. No obvious signs of activity yet, but it does look & smell good :grin:

Well after 16 days mine got down to 1012 so ive kegged most of it and bottled 8 bottles. Must admit it does taste pretty good already so will have to try especially hard to leave it till Xmas :grin:

Is there anything in treacle (other than fermentable sugars) that will raise the SG ?

Mine seems to have fermented well in the cellar in this heat wave.

Think it was done after about 4 days!!!!

Getting closer to bottling it now, after 2 weeks, I've just transferred it into my other FV, and will leave it stood on the cellar floor for a week, left behind a lot of gunky goodness in the bucket, must of been about half an inch thick!!!! Thankfully I always put my hop bag strainer on the end of the syphoning tube :D

From the sample I had, even though a while left, my god, pure Genius, just need to find another 20 empties in the next week to put it in.

:drink:

Got a couple of bottles of this left from when I brewed it. Didn't go mad with the recipe just 1kg extra dark DME and a bit of treacle. Bottled in november and cracked one of my last few bottles open last night and snapped a few pics.

DSCN0110.JPG

DSCN0111.JPG

DSCN0112.JPG

DSCN0113.JPG

The flavours probably peaked 3-6 months old and had quite a strong liquorice taste. It has now settled to be a good pronounced stout. If I was going to stick with kits and not move on to AG as I am then I would brew it again.

got the bog standard kit on at the moment 4 days in and alls well lol , gonna leave it for another 10 days or so then bottle up , got my next kit ordered doing it with 1.5kg of ldme and 500gms of muscavado sugar , and has any one tried golden syrup ? might try that next two tins plus lmme and some golden syrup sugar and fancied getting some chilli into one if poss :) :twisted:

bottled mine on 10/07 sampled today 02/08 tastes really nice good head after pour but looks flat about half way down pint glass but still tastes gassy (if you know what i mean ) will it improve with age, as its only 3 weeks old at the moment

thanks stan ( the novice )

Brewed another batch of this back in June, primed bottles with treacle. Shared a few round at bbq last night, went down a storm. My stock has gone from 20 litres to about six. I'd say it's spot on now, the strong treacle taste has subsided somewhat.

Ok. So two weeks bottled and it was time to try a sampler :D
Gorgeous... and head still there on last mouthful!

Definately doing again!

Just set this kit away today with 1kg of brewing sugar and 2lb of black treacle. SG of 1048. Will be in the bottles for a long time as I am trying to fill all my bottles with brews as we have put the house on the market and I won't be able to brew for a while when we move.

bottled my first batch up on Sunday half with carb drops and half with muscovado sugar :grin: , cleaned and sanitized my kit and put another on this morning with 1.5 tin of dme and 500gms of muscovado sugar the smell is out of this world lol :D

Wilfy said:
flyan said:
Wilfy said:
2lb of black treacle

Christ on a bike man!

The krausen is trying to escape! :lol: :lol:

I did mine Sunday just gone with Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2 and about 250g of black treacle and I've never seen a krausen so big.

Your's must be up the kitchen wall by now :D :D

Back