Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started this off a couple of days ago using 1kg brewing sugar & 500g medium spray malt (they didn't have any dark in stock) & it's going like a steam train. This morning it was escaping out the air lock but luckily I wrapped the FV in a large towel beforehand so it didn't get as far as the light cream carpet - she wouldn't have been best pleased with that.

Can't wait to try it as all the reviews are positive & the initial smell is great.

Just bottled this up last Thursday waiting for my first pint brewed using brewing sugar and also used brewing sugar to carbonate will see how it turns out.

cracked open a few testers of mine last night , a very nice drink i must say ended up half cut to say the least , open some that were primed with muscavado sugar and some with carb drops and the sugar wins hand down for a creamy head just not when chilled to within an inch of its life lol :cheers:

Hey, starting my very first brew soon and I've decided I'm gonna get the Coopers Stout (mainly based on the fact that I'm seriously craving it after reading all the comments on this thread).

I would like it to be maybe 5% or above. What fermentables should I use with this kit?! It says to just use 1kg of brewing sugar but that seems a bit boring based on what has been going on here. Someone recommended I use 1.5kg of LME, but I have access to DME, black tracle, brewing sugar etc.

eric90000 said:
Hey, starting my very first brew soon and I've decided I'm gonna get the Coopers Stout (mainly based on the fact that I'm seriously craving it after reading all the comments on this thread).

I would like it to be maybe 5% or above. What fermentables should I use with this kit?! It says to just use 1kg of brewing sugar but that seems a bit boring based on what has been going on here. Someone recommended I use 1.5kg of LME, but I have access to DME, black tracle, brewing sugar etc.

did mine 1 coopers kit , 1.5 kg tin of dme and 500 gms of mucavado sugar came out approx 5% , very nice drink seems smooth and plenty body to it ive just bottled 40 up yesterday and its way better than the bog standard kit im drinking now though thats not bad either , i went for the mucavado sugar as im not a treacle fan and prolly do the same again maybe with mollasses sugar :)

eric90000 said:

Put mine down on sat 1kg of medium dme +250g of dark muscavado should come out at about 4.6%. If you add too much sugar you'll reach your desired abv% but you'll thin out the brew. Personally if i was trying for 5% i'd do what I said i've done but short it to about 19L or 20L

i kegged this stout 5 days ago. made the kit up with 500g of medium spray malt and 454g of golden syrup. made to 4 gallons and primed the keg with 80g black treacle.
had a little try last night just for quality control purposes...... its lovely. good head that lasts to the bottom of glass. really pleased with how its turned out.
its a kit i've done a few times now and the results have always being good. it ferments very fast and is drinkable very quickly too.
anyone who hasn't tried this kit, i wholeheartedly recommend them to :thumb:

If my Stout turns out OK, I have another two of these kits and will probably add different ingredients, just to compare the difference between them.

I have done this kit before, a couple of years a go. Back then I did it with 500g or so of brewing sugar and it was great.

This time, however, I thought I'd step it up a notch. I added 1.5kg of extra dark DME, 500g of Muscovado sugar and a pot of coffee made with 5 scoops. After a week in the FV I added 2 vanilla pods that I had slit open and infused in vodka for a few days.

I made this to put away until Christmas, it came in at about 5.6% I think. Having tasted it at the bottling stage (knowing it was too young really), it tasted, not great! It has now been in the warm for 3 weeks and in the cold for about a week. Tried a sneaky one earlier this evening and it had improved no end. Coffee comes through nicely, the vanilla gives a slight aroma but not that noticeable taste wise.

Can't wait 'til christmas!

I have one of these kits as my next batch and on reading this thread like the sound of using muscovado sugar and a kilo of dme not sure I want the coffee and vanilla in but it will be my first attempt at stout so I may tweak my next batch :cheers:

I've just recently bottled 40 bottles of the Cooper's Irish Stout. Brewed slightly short to 21L with 1kg of Extra Dark spraymalt and about 300g of soft brown sugar it's safe to say it's blacker than the middle of a forest at 2am. Lovely roastiness to it, a nice beuge head and definitely tastes like something you wouldn't begrudge paying for in a pub. And that's after just a fortnight in the bottle. I can't wait to see how this comes up in another month.

Bearing in mind that the description above seems to chime with others on this thread, I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has done both the Original and the Irish in terms of a side by side comparison? :drink:

GavH said:
I've just recently bottled 40 bottles of the Cooper's Irish Stout. Brewed slightly short to 21L with 1kg of Extra Dark spraymalt and about 300g of soft brown sugar it's safe to say it's blacker than the middle of a forest at 2am. Lovely roastiness to it, a nice beuge head and definitely tastes like something you wouldn't begrudge paying for in a pub. And that's after just a fortnight in the bottle. I can't wait to see how this comes up in another month.

Bearing in mind that the description above seems to chime with others on this thread, I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has done both the Original and the Irish in terms of a side by side comparison? :drink:

yes ive done both and allthough the original is very nice i like the irish more than the original

yes ive done both and allthough the original is very nice i like the irish more than the original[/quote]

Thanks, Any particular difference?

After just over two weeks in the FV I bottled mine today (Cooper's Stout with Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2 and half a tin of black treacle - about 250g). Batch primed with 100g of demerara and managed 40 bottles. The fermentation stopped at 1016 (from about 1048 if memory serves) so hopefully it will continue in the bottled a little now.

As everyone does I had a little taster. Promising seems to be the word. Leaving it until October before I even try it. Thankfully I still have some of my Wilko stout left and the strawberry lager to try :cheers:

sp8y said:
Started this off a couple of days ago using 1kg brewing sugar & 500g medium spray malt (they didn't have any dark in stock) & it's going like a steam train. This morning it was escaping out the air lock but luckily I wrapped the FV in a large towel beforehand so it didn't get as far as the light cream carpet - she wouldn't have been best pleased with that.

Can't wait to try it as all the reviews are positive & the initial smell is great.

Just bottled this yesterday after two weeks in the FV & got 42x500ml bottles out of it & there wasn't much waste in the bottom of the FV.

At this stage the sample I tried tastes better than any other kit I've made (festival, Woodfordes) so should be a cracking pint.

Latest posts

Back