Coopers Stout brewing process with pictures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildmanbrew

Reaction score
After reading a few hundred posts about coopers stout i decided to give it a go.
Instead of the 1kg of sugar the recipe asks for, i decided to add 1kg of medium spray malt (dark or extra dark would have been better but i can only get light and medium), and a 454g tin of black treacle.

Before starting ensure all your equiptment is where you want it and that it is clean from last use. Also ensure you wont be disturbed. Other people tend to be ignorant about homebrew. They wont realise everything has to be spotless and sterile. During my brew this afternoon i had a muddy dog and a snotty nosed owner within feet of my exposed wort. Theres nothing raises the blood pressure more than than a potential contaminant to your brew!

Step 1 - Steralising Equiptment

Ideally id use a no rinse product such as starsan, but i dont have any so youngs and wilkos will have to do. Follow instructions carefully

Step 2 - Preparation

Your kit will tell you how much boiling water you will need to mix it. I boil mine on the gas in clean pans, a kettle will do the same job but you may need to refill a few times.
At this point also i peel the label off the can and place it in boiling water, turning it over every 5 mins or so to loosen it up. I also ait the treacle in a bath of hot water but keep an eye out for leaks down the seal aide of the can. I had one today.

Step 3 - Mixing the wort

Open your can(s) of extract and pour into the FV. Fill the can with boiling water (use a cloth to hold the can it will be hot) and stir to dissolve the left over malt extract that clings to the sides and bottom of the can. Tip the water extract mix into the FV over the open lid of the can to dissolveany extract from it. Add the treacle at this point and rinse the can out with boiling water into the FV.

Mix up really well! Beat the hell out of it! Feel around the bottom of the FV with your mixing spoon/paddle you will feel any sticky extract that hasnt dissolved yet. If you get lots of foam building up, Great! Getting as much air in to the mix as you can will help the yeast later on.

Now adding the spray malt. If you just chuck it all in at once you will find it just coagulates into giant lumps as i found out earlier (id not used spray malt before). Another good beating and eventually it all dissolved but it took a while. Crushing the lumps against the side of the FV helped no end.

Now top up with your cold water. The kit says top up to 23 litres but it is recommended to "brew it short" at only 20-21 litres, this gives a little extra body, mouthfeel and a little bump in abv to the beer.

Once topped up take a sample in your steralised trial jar. Let it stand for a minute or 2 to let any head in the jar settle. Place your Hydrometer in and give it a spin, this will throw off any small bubbles from the hydrometer stopping false readings. To read the measurement accuratly you should read it in level with the rest of the liquid not where it rises up slightly incontact with the hydrometer. This brew came out at 1.051.
Do Not return the sample back to the FV! Either drink it or chuck it down the sink. I forgot to take a picture of this stage.

Right back to beating the hell out of it again. Airating your wort will help the yeast to ferment beer faster and more efficiently. This is the only time ever that you want to expose your beer to air! Give it a good whip up and get a good head of foam.

Step 4 - Pitching the yeast
Chexk the temperature. Is this kit the yeast should be added between 19 and 27 degrees.
Cut open your yeast packet and sprinkle evenly over the surface of the foam, put the lid on the FV and set up your airlock. In the case of this brew i have attached a blow off made of a siphon tube into a jug of water. Im expecting a very vigourous fermentation with this, so any escaping krausen instead of spraying the ceiling (as has been seen before!) Will drain into the jug. The water as in an airlock will stop air and any other nasties entering the FV.

It would have been easier to mix in the spray malt if you'd added it to the FV in a little warm water before adding the tin of Coopers.

What gravity did you get? I've done the stout a number of times and seen people have massive Krausen and use blow-off tubes, mine's gone fairly vigorously but never got close to hitting the lid of the FV.

It would have been easier to mix in the spray malt if you'd added it to the FV in a little warm water before adding the tin of Coopers.

What gravity did you get? I've done the stout a number of times and seen people have massive Krausen and use blow-off tubes, mine's gone fairly vigorously but never got close to hitting the lid of the FV.

Thanks for the advice i assumed itd just dissolve like sugar but oh well just another part of the learning curve. Sg came out at 1.051

Well i thought id do a next day update.

After just a few hours of pitching the lid of the fv was bulging and the temperature at a steady 22°c with the occasional bubble from the blow off.

Six hours in things had definatley picked up. I was getting a stream of bubbles from the blow off every 5-6 seconds. The krausen is about 2 inches thick.

Now at nearly 24 hours the krausen is a little larger but not excessive and im getting good streams of bubbles every few seconds. I took a quick video of the bubbles linked Here
One thing i forgot to mention above was that im using a bucket of water and an immersion heater to keep temperature steady

Are there any disadvantages in stirring in the yeast rather than sprinkling on top?

I'm on my second Coopers kit and I've stirred both in. The first came out ok, the second appears to be fermenting ok.

I did as per instructions and your pictures but it's not bubbling great, one in couple minutes.
I used 1kg brewing sugar and 500 g dark spray malt. Did it on Saturday. Ferment temperature was 25.4 when I added the yeast. Now it's shows 24 on thermometer. Can't understand what I did wrong.

Are there any disadvantages in stirring in the yeast rather than sprinkling on top?

I'm on my second Coopers kit and I've stirred both in. The first came out ok, the second appears to be fermenting ok.

I don't think it makes a difference but then I always rehydrate dried yeast before pitching so it goes in as a liquid. I give it a gentle stir after.

Now adding the spray malt. If you just chuck it all in at once you will find it just coagulates into giant lumps as i found out earlier (id not used spray malt before). Another good beating and eventually it all dissolved but it took a while. Crushing the lumps against the side of the FV helped no end.

Yeah, been there and you'll only do it once. In my case it was a Brupaks Brewer's Choice kit, I just lobbed it all in the FV expecting it to dissolve like sugar only to be greeted with this solid lump of spraymalt, queue much swearing and cursing. I somehow managed to smash it into smaller bits and then attacked it with a stick blender (sanitised first). Took ages to get rid of all the bits.

I just stir now and add it gradually, an assistant can be of some use here.

I don't think it makes a difference but then I always rehydrate dried yeast before pitching so it goes in as a liquid. I give it a gentle stir after.

I've sprinkled the yeast on their European Lager and a batch of Stout last night. Both reacted ok. Although I have never experienced the volcanic krausen that others speak about.........unless I'm in for a surprise when I get home tonight. :)

I did as per instructions and your pictures but it's not bubbling great, one in couple minutes.
I used 1kg brewing sugar and 500 g dark spray malt. Did it on Saturday. Ferment temperature was 25.4 when I added the yeast. Now it's shows 24 on thermometer. Can't understand what I did wrong.
Although not essential I suggest you try to get your fermentation temperature down from 24*C to around 20*C. It should produce a better end product.
Second if you are using an airlock and it's not bubbling very much and you have a krausen it is likely that the FV lid is leaking CO2 and is bypassing the lock. Many FV lids do this, including mine.

Will try to get temperature down. Thanks.
Yes, you are absolutely right about the leaking lid, I spotted it on Sunday and taped around with duck tape. If I squeeze the FV, the air escaping only try the airlock now.
Will try to play with temperature.

Although not essential I suggest you try to get your fermentation temperature down from 24*C to around 20*C. It should produce a better end product.
Second if you are using an airlock and it's not bubbling very much and you have a krausen it is likely that the FV lid is leaking CO2 and is bypassing the lock. Many FV lids do this, including mine.

Will try to get temperature down. Thanks.
Yes, you are absolutely right about the leaking lid, I spotted it on Sunday and taped around with duck tape. If I squeeze the FV, the air escaping only try the airlock now.
Will try to play with temperature.
Good luck with the duck tape.....
If I want to stop the lid to FV seal leaking, and the krausen is past the point where it will no longer hit the lid, I place four strips of cling film over the rim of the FV, and then replace the lid. Stops all leaks.

It's been over 15 hours at temperature 20.8 and still not bubbling. I found that some people add two yeast sachets at the beginning, I was wondering maybe I killed the yeast at high temperature.
What do you guys think if I add one more sacket of the yeast. I have only S33 at the moment.
But I have ordered the m42, hopefully this will arrive in couple of days.

It's been over 15 hours at temperature 20.8 and still not bubbling. I found that some people add two yeast sachets at the beginning, I was wondering maybe I killed the yeast at high temperature.
What do you guys think if I add one more sacket of the yeast. I have only S33 at the moment.
But I have ordered the m42, hopefully this will arrive in couple of days.
My advice is to peak inside the FV.
If there is a krausen, it's fermenting irrespective of what the airlock is doing. You could also take an SG reading while you are in there. If it's less than your OG that's another sign that fermentation is progressing. Put the lid back on and forget all about it for another week, that's right, another week. Then start to take your SG readings on consecutive days to check it's finished. And ditch the duck tape it is unlikely to be providing a gas tight seal.
If there is no krausen and the brew is clear, it has either finished or has not started. So take an SG reading to confirm what is happening.
If it has not started then you have been unlucky, either the yeast was duff, or the pitching temp has killed the yeast which is very unlikely at 25*Cish. You will therefore need to add more yeast. Until you do keep the lid on after this intervention.
In short use your hydrometer, and your eyes, to tell you where you are rather than relying on an unreliable bubble stream from the airlock.

I've sprinkled the yeast on their European Lager and a batch of Stout last night. Both reacted ok. Although I have never experienced the volcanic krausen that others speak about.........unless I'm in for a surprise when I get home tonight. :)

I got home last night and the top of my indicator was laying on the floor. So I promptly rollocked the missus for not being careful in the spare room. She smugly told me she hadn't been in there....:oops:
So I removed the towel that I have wrapped around the FV.......Wowser!!! Looks like someone had chucked a hand grenade in there. I even went to check on it at half time and the indicator top had blown off again!

Cheers Terrym for the recipe :thumb:

Thanks. Will check at evening.
I'm quite new to brewing, have done less then ten kits, but they were performing well, this one is the first who doesn't want to start :(
Thanks for being so helpful.

My advice is to peak inside the FV.
If there is a krausen, it's fermenting irrespective of what the airlock is doing. You could also take an SG reading while you are in there. If it's less than your OG that's another sign that fermentation is progressing. Put the lid back on and forget all about it for another week, that's right, another week. Then start to take your SG readings on consecutive days to check it's finished. And ditch the duck tape it is unlikely to be providing a gas tight seal.
If there is no krausen and the brew is clear, it has either finished or has not started. So take an SG reading to confirm what is happening.
If it has not started then you have been unlucky, either the yeast was duff, or the pitching temp has killed the yeast which is very unlikely at 25*Cish. You will therefore need to add more yeast. Until you do keep the lid on after this intervention.
In short use your hydrometer, and your eyes, to tell you where you are rather than relying on an unreliable bubble stream from the airlock.

I ditched the duct tape. Checked the reading's and they are close to start reading's. I can see that there are tiny bubbles comming, so hopefully the yeast is still alive, just need more time.
Also lid is fully covered with some sediments.

IMG-20161018-191901.sized.jpg

IMG-20161018-191914.sized.jpg

Your photos show you have all the evidence of a good krausen (formed during a vigorous fermentation) which has hit the lid and then dropped back after the fermentation has died back. Plus the brew looks as it should when the fermentation is at its end.
So I can't understand why your current SG reading is similar to the OG reading. What is the current reading and what was OG?

Latest posts

Back