Coopers Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a hydro reading last night, roughly 36 hours after pitching, and it is reading 1.032 after initial reading of 1.042. As I said before it's never really kicked off and seems to be slowing down even further, so I gave it a gentle rouse this morning to see if that will wake it up a bit. Because I've had a couple of brews stick lately I'm rather paranoid and wondering if I should hydrate some more yeast (I've got a pack of Coopers & 2 packs of S-05) and lob it in.

On the plus side I had a wee sip of the beer I drew out to sample and it has real potential even at this early stage.

Where are you fermenting and at what temperature? Have you added any additional ingredients?
I did this kit for the first time with out any big issues, guessing other people's additions can be part of the cause for lively fermentation.
I know you have had issues but try and give it a week before checking again, assuming your temperature is at least 18 degrees.

It's in a room at a steady 20C. I added 1kg of brew enhancer and 95g of 100% coca powder. I took another reading tonight and it's at 1.022 so despite the apparent lack of activity it does seem to be fermenting! I'm using my new Coopers FV with tap so it's no hassle to take a reading, no need to open the lid. I think the new FV is part of MY problem; it is clear so I can see exactly what is or isn't happening! First couple of days there were bubbles coming to the surface of the wort, that's stopped now so hope the fermentation hasn't stopped with it. As I said earlier, I'm probably being a little paranoid as I've had a couple of sticky brews lately, all at the dreaded 1.020 mark.

The Cooper's FV with the Krausen collar quite often looks like not much is happening. No airlock means it difficult to tell what is going on.
Following advice from this forum I just leave mine for two weeks before panicking.

I started one of these last week. I only added a "Stout Mix" (It had LDME and DME plus maltodextrin) from the local brew store. Added the Coopers yeast and half a packet of Nottingham too. I re hydrated the yeast and there was a nice krausen within 12 hours.
It's in the brewing fridge at 18.5C. I forgot to take a gravity reading. The number of times I forget to check the gravity is
picard.gif
. I usually leave my brews in the fridge for 2 or 3 weeks, depending on how busy I am. No mucking around transferring into a secondary half way through.

This is the first time I've made this kit. After a few weeks thinking about it I decided just to make it as above for the first time. Then think about other additives for future brews.

Another thing.

I always use dextrose to prime the bottles. I understand Stout needs about half of what I put in Aust Pale Ales etc.
At least the coopers recipes recommend one carbonation drop instead of two.
But in an add for Muntons Stout it says Try a touch of Dark spraymalt to prime your bottles or barrels instead of sugar. It will improve the body.

I've just taken a look at a priming calculator and really that doesn't show half the dextrose. I'd usually add 150-160 grams dextrose to 23 litres.
33dfm7o.jpg

so how much dextrose does everyone use?
any idea how much DME to use?

Latest posts

Back