coopers stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigd2657

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive just made a coopers irish stout with the following.

! x 1.7kg tin coopers stout
1 x 500g bag muscovado sugar
1 x 454 tin treacle.
250g white sugar.
1 x sachet of wilko gervin yeast.

SG WAS 1052

Does anybody see a problem with nay of my ingredients which I have used.

Any help will be appreciated.

Also how long should I leave in the bottle for before drinking.

Cheers
Big D 2657

If you've just put it in the FV keep an eye on it as the Coopers Stout can go off like a rocket. When I put a stout on I fit a blow off tube as a matter of course. Your ingredients look fine and your OG of 1052 bears that out, actually this looks like it's going to be a very, very nice stout After 2 weeks in the FV you can prime 500ml bottles with 1/2tsp of sugar, give them 2 weeks in the house and 2 weeks in the shed and you're good to go. Coopers Stouts tastes very nice vert early and I'd recommend trying one after 2 weeks in the bottle. They will taste better and better the longer you leave them but that's when that most elusive of ingredients deserts you entirely...patience. Quote this post when you try your first one I'd love to hear how it comes out and might do it myself the recipe looks sound. Sorry I forgot to mention, I've used Wilko Gervin a lot and I love it, it always ferments down to 1008 for me, if yours does your stout should be knocking on the door of 6% when conditioned.

Hi all,

Ive just made a coopers irish stout with the following.

! x 1.7kg tin coopers stout
1 x 500g bag muscovado sugar
1 x 454 tin treacle.
250g white sugar.
1 x sachet of wilko gervin yeast.

SG WAS 1052

Does anybody see a problem with nay of my ingredients which I have used.

Any help will be appreciated.

Also how long should I leave in the bottle for before drinking.

Cheers
Big D 2657

That sounds good if you like that treacle / molasses flavour. Several people have posted that a full tin was too much in their opinion. Last time I made a coopers stout I used half a tin of treacle and I really liked it.

Out of interest, why did you ditch the coopers yeast (which is very good in my opinion)?

I would have used more malt instead of some of the sugar, and I wouldn't have used the black treacle in a large amount, since it has it's own distinctive taste and you have the muscavado sugar which is similar but more subtle. Of course you might like that. However what's done is done now.
I do both the Coopers stouts and prefer the Irish over the Original, but like Oneflewover am interested in why you substituted the kit yeast. I find Coopers yeasts are very reliable, so rarely change them when doing their kits. Some folks would have you believe that you should always change a kit yeast irrespective, but I think is unnecessary in most cases except for example when doing a Wherry.
I have found that both stouts can be drunk young, but do change over time, so keep 'sampling' to find out how the flavours develop.
Finally if you have a PB that's empty I suggest you use that rather than bottle since you should get a lovely creamy head on the stout when dispensed from the tap. That's what I use.
Hope it works out :thumb:

If you've just put it in the FV keep an eye on it as the Coopers Stout can go off like a rocket. When I put a stout on I fit a blow off tube as a matter of course. Your ingredients look fine and your OG of 1052 bears that out, actually this looks like it's going to be a very, very nice stout After 2 weeks in the FV you can prime 500ml bottles with 1/2tsp of sugar, give them 2 weeks in the house and 2 weeks in the shed and you're good to go. Coopers Stouts tastes very nice vert early and I'd recommend trying one after 2 weeks in the bottle. They will taste better and better the longer you leave them but that's when that most elusive of ingredients deserts you entirely...patience. Quote this post when you try your first one I'd love to hear how it comes out and might do it myself the recipe looks sound. Sorry I forgot to mention, I've used Wilko Gervin a lot and I love it, it always ferments down to 1008 for me, if yours does your stout should be knocking on the door of 6% when conditioned.

wow thanks for the advice I will keep you posted.
Big D 2657

Hi one flewover,

I have never used any of the kit yeasts as they are always 6 or 7 grams and if I spend a little extra at wilkos I can get a nice 12gram packet, and I always put in a yeast nutrient as well.

Thanks

Big D 2657

I would have used more malt instead of some of the sugar, and I wouldn't have used the black treacle in a large amount, since it has it's own distinctive taste and you have the muscavado sugar which is similar but more subtle. Of course you might like that. However what's done is done now.
I do both the Coopers stouts and prefer the Irish over the Original, but like Oneflewover am interested in why you substituted the kit yeast. I find Coopers yeasts are very reliable, so rarely change them when doing their kits. Some folks would have you believe that you should always change a kit yeast irrespective, but I think is unnecessary in most cases except for example when doing a Wherry.
I have found that both stouts can be drunk young, but do change over time, so keep 'sampling' to find out how the flavours develop.
Finally if you have a PB that's empty I suggest you use that rather than bottle since you should get a lovely creamy head on the stout when dispensed from the tap. That's what I use.
Hope it works out :thumb:

Hi Terrry m

Thanks for all the info I will keep this thread posted on how it goes on.
Big D 2657

Back