Coopers Wheat Beer Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Mike!
Im of the same opinion as you. Its not bad is it!

:thumb:
Cheers, no its a good one!

Im thinking of trying it with strawberries next time, along the lines of the 'blushing blonde' from the coopers diy website (but with wheat!).

cheers for your advice with the recipe - its good stuff! I would like to try with a wheat beer yeast next time to see how much difference that makes too.

did you find it improves more with age?

Cheers, no its a good one!

Im thinking of trying it with strawberries next time, along the lines of the 'blushing blonde' from the coopers diy website (but with wheat!).

cheers for your advice with the recipe - its good stuff! I would like to try with a wheat beer yeast next time to see how much difference that makes too.

did you find it improves more with age?

Cant say it has improved with age, only that it seems slightly smoother but that may be my imagination. I'd be interested to see how it would come out making it with strawberries though, but I'm so impressed with it I plan to do another one using the same recipe but adding some ginger to give it a bit of spiciness.

:thumb:

Made this up with/for a mate last night. Used one Can of the Coopers and a can of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract. Going to add some more hops and some orange peel/coriander in a weeks time. Hoping it turns out something like Hoegaarden.

Made this up with/for a mate last night. Used one Can of the Coopers and a can of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract. Going to add some more hops and some orange peel/coriander in a weeks time. Hoping it turns out something like Hoegaarden.

Hi I have made about 6 of these kits this year.
The first thing I have noted is that the supplied yeast is very active.
I tend to brew it @4 -> 4.2 gallon in the first few days till the yeast settles a wee bit. Then top up to 5 gallon.
I keep mine in the primary for 14 days then straight to bottle.

Tend to brew with BE#2 or BE#1

Always turns out crystal clear, tasting more like a golden ale than a wheat beer. Think Coopers Ausy Lager except slightly sweeter and smoother.

The sedement tends to be a little loose.

The beer is also prone to slight clouding (like a pectain haze) at low temps.

All in all an ok quick to make session beer.

This is nothing like wheat beer from the shops, but a pleasent pint all the same.

Hi I have made about 6 of these kits this year.
The first thing I have noted is that the supplied yeast is very active.
I tend to brew it @4 -> 4.2 gallon in the first few days till the yeast settles a wee bit. Then top up to 5 gallon.
I keep mine in the primary for 14 days then straight to bottle.

Tend to brew with BE#2 or BE#1

Always turns out crystal clear, tasting more like a golden ale than a wheat beer. Think Coopers Ausy Lager except slightly sweeter and smoother.

The sedement tends to be a little loose.

The beer is also prone to slight clouding (like a pectain haze) at low temps.

All in all an ok quick to make session beer.

This is nothing like wheat beer from the shops, but a pleasent pint all the same.

I found it did taste akin to a wheat beer from the shops when I made it, and I found that pouring chilling the beer and pouring the sediment into the beer glass as recommended helped with this.

Started this 5 days ago with 500g light malt and 400 g brewing sugar ( it only asked for 300 but my kids had a party and my concentration went). Gonna dry hi it with approx 50 g hops in the next few days. Is it to late to try the lemon zest thing?

Not quite but it's the liveliest yeast I have seen. I had to release the gas every day. I dry hopped it 2 days ago so how to bottle it on Wednesday

the first time I made it I left it alone for a few days only to find it had escaped. I always put a towel under the fermrnter now and check in on it every day.

Had a bottle of this last night and it's a very average brew, even with the added hops it just doesn't have much going for it. It's a fizzy cheap beer, maybe it's not just to my liking, but it's certainly not like a wheat beer . will try it again in a few weeks

Last edited:
Had a bottle of this last night and it's a very average brew, even with the added hops it just doesn't have much going for it. It's a fizzy cheap beer, maybe it's not just to my liking, but it's certainly not like a wheat beer . will try it again in a few weeks

What did you add?

from a previouse post

"All in all an ok quick to make session beer."

to anyone else who reads this, I like this brew hence I have made so much of it. just about to make some more. Its not exceptional it OK. In my eyes OK is better most.

Put this one on Christmas eve with 1kg enhancer and .5kg wheat spraymalt. SG 1045, really lively ferment and 7 days later gravity is 1010 so I guessing it's nearly done. I'll leave it a couple more days and bottle, I think I'll prime with 1tsp demerara sugar and hope for a big lively head and no bombs :p

Have this kit ready to make up. When it comes to bottling, do you guys rack off into 2nd Fermenter first to leave sediment or just bottle (does the sediment add to the wheat beer colour/mouth feel)?

Has anyone tried this with 1kg of Muntons 500g Wheat Sparymalt ( Dried Malt Extract )?

I have this in my FV at the moment, started it off on New years eve and was bubbling quite vigorous for 3 days and has calmed down now.

I used the Munton 1Kg spray malt but it is the light one not the wheat pack so ill see how it turns out and let you know.

It's probably worth buying a wheat yeast, like WB-06, I think the kit comes with an ale yeast, and wheat beer is all about the yeast, unless it's an American wheat, which goes for a stronger hop flavour. So you could get some flavoursome hops instead. But my mate made an extract wheat beer with Coppers wheat LME and used WB-06, it was very simple and it worked out well.

Latest posts

Back