corks vs caps?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurf

Reaction score
Hi all

Do caps keep the fiz in better than corks? I've been using corks to date but was wondering if caps are better

Thanks

Smurf

hi,

I use them for ale.I use wine bottles but was thinking caps may hold the fix a little better for some reason

thanks

smurf

Be very careful, regular wine bottles aren't designed to hold a fizz! You might get away with a very slight spritz but they won't hold the pressure of a primed ale with a secondary bottle fermentation. With luck, the corks should pop before the bottle bursts. One way or another, you're likely to lose your brew.

If using proper Champagne or sparkling wine bottles, regular corks do breathe ever so slightly over time, so you should be using plastic stoppers and wire cages.

I've never had a problem with wine bottled to be honest. I've always used them and only had a issue when left them in the shed on a hot summers day! This was with a screw top wine bottle where the corks popped out quite easily but never had a problem with a traditional wine bottle.

I might try trying caps when i bottle my next batch

thanks

Latest posts

Back