Corny keg cleaning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks MBeer & Rod. I did hit the spanner a couple of times with hammer but was worried I might damage something, even if it was my knuckles. Might be worth me raiding hubby's toolbox for a socket/ratchet. Harry I don't fancy getting the compressor and air gun out :laugh8:
Maybe I should get the hubby more involved in my hobby rather than just drinking it.

Having just emptied my first ever keg (of beer that is) Which was a total success, Ive literally 1/3 filled with hot water. Rinsed out. Filled again then shook. The pressure inside forces water up the liquid out post if you press the centre post with your thumb nail. I plan to rinse and sanitise and re fill with my next brew thats now ready for conditioning. Hopefully all will be well. Cheers

Having just emptied my first ever keg (of beer that is) Which was a total success, Ive literally 1/3 filled with hot water. Rinsed out. Filled again then shook. The pressure inside forces water up the liquid out post if you press the centre post with your thumb nail. I plan to rinse and sanitise and re fill with my next brew thats now ready for conditioning. Hopefully all will be well. Cheers
I would be tempted to use something stronger than just hot water to clean it, a scoop of Oxi powder in hot water is my go to, then sanitise.

As my cornys empty I give them a swill round with clean water and a good shake then pour in around 2 litres of boiling water, put the lid back on and leave for a while. Then usually pressure wash the insides followed by pouring in all my starsan mixture that I have used on previous cleans (saves pouring it away) and leave like that till the next batch. Rarely take the posts off - maybe every 5-8 brews.

No dismantling here. Give it a good rinse out with water first making sure to push water through the dip tube to flush any debris out there. Then I just heat up water to 60 degrees, 3/4 fill the keg and add PBW, give it a good shake, 30 mins soak one way up, then 30 mins soak the other way up, then put on CO2 and push it out of the dip tube with my party tap to give that a good clean. Rinse with water running water through the dip tube too.

Then to finish, brim with water, add stars san, lock open the PRV and push stars through the dip tube with a pump action garden sprayer filled with stars and let it flow through the PRV for a wile to ensure the dip tube gets filled then leave and just before re-use push it all out with CO2 and you have a perfectly sanitised and purged keg.

Keep meaning to build a keg washer but then it'll be another thing kicking about in the limited space in my garage.

I’ve just built a keg washer - more for the all rounder if I’m honest than kegs, but I just rinse the empty keg out with hot water, Chuck it onto the pump in a bucket that is filled with vwp and water, let it run for 15 mins, then rinse with clean water… perfect results every time lol.

I’ve just built a keg washer - more for the all rounder if I’m honest than kegs, but I just rinse the empty keg out with hot water, Chuck it onto the pump in a bucket that is filled with vwp and water, let it run for 15 mins, then rinse with clean water… perfect results every time lol.
Hmmm I'm liking the sound of this. What sort of pump did you use?

Hmmm I'm liking the sound of this. What sort of pump did you use?

its a bit overkill as I use the pump from the kids paddling pool…. But the pressure really shifts any crud. KATSU 400W Portable Submersible Pump for Clean and Dirty Water for Garden Pond, Pools, and Ditches + Float Switch : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

but my pal uses this one to goeffect too..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BARST-Hydr...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I just plonk it in an old fv and use a couple of metal pieces to rest the kegs on and the all rounder just sits on the fv opening.

I find I can get most crud out in about 2 mins with a jet spray gun on the hosepipe and a long scrubbing brush. I am (un)lucky enough to be able to fit my forearm into a corny though.

I built meself a keg cleaner with disconnects all hands off and no dismantling required.
Keg1.jpg

Keg2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back