Corny Kegging Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon19791

Reaction score
Guys,
I have been very lucky and managed to obtain all my begging equipment and gas for about £150.

Now i have just kegged a brew and am force carbing. When i was cleaning the keg and getting it ready, i noticed that the pick up tube goes all the way to the very lowest point in the keg. My questions, is, does this mot pick up all the yeast when i dispense a pint, or because I'm force carbing and not adding any more arming sugar then no more yeast is produced or.... do i need to adjust the pick up tube?

Many thanks

A qualified yes to that, as you can minimise the sediment. The trick seems to be to leave your fermentation bucket somewhere very cold to settle clear ('cold crashing') so that the beer going into the keg is virtually clear.

There may be sediment in the first couple of pints, but clear after that.

Yes. I use turbo clear in my beer, It doesn't totally get rid of all the yeast but after I syphon the beer into the keg I leave it in the cold for a few days (usually a week) then attach the co2 and draw off about 250 ml which has a lot of yeast; I then force carbonate it and leave it to condition.
That is my fast track way but cold crashing the beer before you keg it might reduce the amount of yeast but you will definitely have to draw off some beer before it is clear.
Never take the dip tube out or you won't be able to draw any beer off.

Personally I don't bother. My thoughts are this (and they are only my thoughts). When you pressurize the keg, will all the sediment sink, or does the pressure make it stay in suspension? I have drawn many a pint from my corneys, and from the first to the last they have been as clear as a bell. More to the point, it is mainly for my consumption, with a few pints (grudgingly) given to guests. I don't mind a cloudy pint - it means I can do the 'quilt thing' when I get SWMBO in bed.....I don't think I will ever stop giggling like a schoolboy when I cough in my rompers then put the duvet over her head.

If you can be patient and leave your fermentation well beyond the "norm", and include an extended secondary, then you can even have clear beer from the first pull. I'm talking about 5 weeks primary, then 3 weeks cold. Of course it still depends on the beer & yeast, but I just recently managed it myself for the first time. I could see it was crystal clear while I was racking to the cornie.

If you can't be patient, then just give the yeast some time to drop in the cornie, and accept that the first few beers will be a bit cloudy, plus a few more if you move the keg.

My corny is the same. I prime my kegs with sugar so get some yeast settlement at the bottom. Usually just run off the first pint and it's not a problem after that.

Back