Could craft beer change my mind for the normal brews I make!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't want to say I told you so but...
Elvis Juice and Hop Fiction are my favourite Brewdog brews. I think HF is a seasonal brew for springtime.
I also like Trashy Blonde but they don't currently brew that one.

Or you could stick with the dark beers and do hoppy stuff to them. Just because IPAs are in vogue doesn't mean you can't do the same stuff to other beer styles; I had a lovely pint of a hopped up stout in a pub the other day. Can't remember what it was called but I was sufficiently impressed that I've put a batch of a basic stout recipe on so I can try that out.

Plus I have a fridge full of bottled lager that I dry hopped to bits which has turned out fabulous. Tried Elvis Juice for the first time this weekend so now I'm looking for grapefruit zest to pimp up the lager I have conditioning right now. I reckon that a lager can be just as good a base for experimentation as IPA.

There's no need to change everything at once, evolution not revolution and all that.

Done lots of hops with stouts, lagers all about experimenting.
Pale and IPA seem to be in fashion...to me why?
Got plenty of marris Otter and hops needs to get used up.
Grapefruit is one I'm going to make next..but not a lot of GF peel..more into the hops bringing the citric tangy taste...starting small not to over powering it..unlike that bellhaven twist IPA...couldn't wait to finish it! Chuffed it was a small bottle.
Bri

Or you could stick with the dark beers and do hoppy stuff to them. Just because IPAs are in vogue doesn't mean you can't do the same stuff to other beer styles; I had a lovely pint of a hopped up stout in a pub the other day. Can't remember what it was called but I was sufficiently impressed that I've put a batch of a basic stout recipe on so I can try that out.

Plus I have a fridge full of bottled lager that I dry hopped to bits which has turned out fabulous. Tried Elvis Juice for the first time this weekend so now I'm looking for grapefruit zest to pimp up the lager I have conditioning right now. I reckon that a lager can be just as good a base for experimentation as IPA.

There's no need to change everything at once, evolution not revolution and all that.

I have had a go at pimping up all styles of beer and find that the darker the beer the more difficult to get a result.you are right in saying lagers are easy to dry hop along with pale ales,my golden rule in dry hopping is don't bother if any of your beers are on the dark side as it will be disappointing to say the least and a waste of time

Done lots of hops with stouts, lagers all about experimenting.
Pale and IPA seem to be in fashion...to me why?
Got plenty of marris Otter and hops needs to get used up.
Grapefruit is one I'm going to make next..but not a lot of GF peel..more into the hops bringing the citric tangy taste...starting small not to over powering it..unlike that bellhaven twist IPA...couldn't wait to finish it! Chuffed it was a small bottle.
Bri
peel is another waste of time imo.if you want grapefruit,citra then go riwaka(gold dust) citra hops

I have had a go at pimping up all styles of beer and find that the darker the beer the more difficult to get a result.you are right in saying lagers are easy to dry hop along with pale ales,my golden rule in dry hopping is don't bother if any of your beers are on the dark side as it will be disappointing to say the least and a waste of time
Personally I think it's down to your pallet with each individual having common ground on certain types but sometimes there's a vast difference of opinion.
My mate and I enjoy each others brews but shall give honest opinions but I love a hoppy Stout and still love a good Guinness but he doesn't like a hoppy Stout full stop but will try anything else that has been hopped..

Gerry

Ya rite Bri
It's all about taste and what you think is good....but somewhere along the way your taste buds get the wake up call! You realise there's a big world of beers out there and once you find them there's no stopping even though you make your own. But you need to keep trying! It's also good to let people who will give you a honest opinion try your beers....my mate tries mine and still thinks Boddingtons is ace....but then he needs a good kick up the ****!

Aye guys,
Tbh the craft industry has opened my mind with all this hoppy this n that..but one thing it's opened my experimenting no end.
Of course I listened to opinion and for all they may waste of time etc.
But small batches (under 5l) in each DJ..I can experiment with the dry hops
Had some great results with certain hops..I like Amarillo, citra and A few others that give me the hit!
Some are disipointing...tend to go with the USA hops, ones that were think by Bigcol and others as the UK hops were lacking the quality.
Making notes, tinkering with the recipes and putting it all together is part of the fascination of the hobby.
Got my dark beers to where I like it to taste...but a lot work out there to make then more satisfying
Some time seat of your pants approach with the notes at hand just doing it...then to find out that the best brew I've made without what went into it not taking notes..I got court out before...
Same time a brew that isn't up my liking I can look at the notes what went wrong and if needed tinker the recipe again til I get a happy medium.
I admire company's like Brewdog that 'out there' and difference..and I find my type of brewing style is sometimes crazy, seat o your pants..letting to science take shape, and my experimental approach go wild...
There's more ways to skin a cat! And for all I don't want to invent the wheel I strife to learn and different styles.
Years of getting each process from water treatment to fermintation temps just right and all the individual stages has payed off!
But....there more to learn...more to explored and my motivation and determination is still at a high...
The hobby has help me not only getting my mental state better, using my battered brain cell and my communication skills better...don't laugh too loud haha!
Just want to be the best at what I try...no cockyness..no bull just enjoying it...and along the way being a part of a forum with like minded people is smiles to my face..
Punk IPA, grapefruit IPA will be done..but which one at brewday is anybody's guess...
Off to play...
Tbc
Bri

:nono: try doing a few black ipa's and dry hop em:thumb:

Don't want to say I told you so but...
Elvis Juice and Hop Fiction are my favourite Brewdog brews. I think HF is a seasonal brew for springtime.
I also like Trashy Blonde but they don't currently brew that one.
I have a 'take' on Trashy Blonde,i tinkered with the diy recipie somewhat, it's a belter:thumb:

A US Gallon and a UK Gallon both contain eight pints but the difference is that a US Pint weighs 16oz whereas a UK Pint weighs 20oz.

As a result, a US Gallon weighs 8lb (3.63kg or 3.63 litres of water) and a UK Gallon weighs 10lb (4.55kg or 4.55 litres of water).

Hope this helps! :thumb:

That's not quite right unfortunately. The US fluid ounce is defined at 1/16 of a US pint (~473ml), which makes it 29.57ml, which as a weight of water is 29.57g... This means that a US gallon is 3.785 litres.... Not 3.63.

It would be easy and so great to be able to assume that a fluid ounce is the volume occupied by an ounce of water, but unfortunately that isn't what it is... Imperial-style units are ****, is the real lesson here. :doh:

I in no way disagree with you but I have just copied this of t'Internet so I don't feel so alone! :thumb:

(Sixteen fluid ounces of water weighs ~16 ounces, avoirdupois weight.)
A gallon is 4 quarts, or 8 pints, and thus weighs ~8 pounds.

... then this ...

If you do not know the density: multiply by 8.34, the density of water
(1 gal water =8.34 lbs)

Yep! Imperial Units are definitely **** with a capital "K"! :thumb:

Just to add to your research:

I've just been to M&S having a mooch around at lunchtime. They have 330ml cans of a Grapefruit IPA and a Blood Orange wheat beer brewed by Adnams. I bought one of each for research purposes and will report back later.

I also bought a can of Eternal IPA and New World IPA by Northern Monk as it was a 4 for 3 offer and it would have been rude not too! :lol:

Just to add to your research:

I've just been to M&S having a mooch around at lunchtime. They have 330ml cans of a Grapefruit IPA and a Blood Orange wheat beer brewed by Adnams. I bought one of each for research purposes and will report back later.

I also bought a can of Eternal IPA and New World IPA by Northern Monk as it was a 4 for 3 offer and it would have been rude not too! :lol:

Of course!! Rude not to..haha!
Blood orange wheat beer....hmmm your hitting my taste buds.
All in research purposes off course
Bri

Latest posts

Back