Can you make pilsner in a Unitank pressure fermenter at a room temperature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega

Reaction score
Hi, everyone,
I viewed several videos regarding Unitank pressure fermenters and like the system as it allows brewing IPAs, lagers and stouts and you can serve the beer right from the fermenter making brewing a bit more streamlined. However, can it do pilsners in a room with the temperature around 23 Celsius or I need to think about cooler temperature? Perhaps I should select a different yeast, but then not sure if it is going to be a pilsner… Don’t mind any changes as long as I get the right taste - like an international lager (Asahi, San Miguel,Kronenbourg, Grolsch, Budvar etc) :)
Thank you

Last edited:
Yes, most likely.

There's some good information in this video and the experiment that they discuss.

Thank you, Sadfield, I started listening your YouTube video, very interesting

A question to everyone - I am thinking BrewTools MiniUni might be a good option for me as it is a pressure fermenter that allows serving, I like the idea of having one system instead of two. However, The Malt Miller seems to be the only retailer I the UK. Are there other retailers of MiniUni in the UK?
I wonder if there is a kit to "clean in place" for MiniUni and collect yeast and trub from the bottom - MiniUni seems to be too new on the market, so I probably should look at some other brands that may fit

Last edited:
Thank you, Sadfield, I started listening your YouTube video, very interesting

A question to everyone - I am thinking BrewTools MiniUni might be a good option for me as it is a pressure fermenter that allows serving, I like the idea of having one system instead of two. However, The Malt Miller seems to be the only retailer I the UK. Are there other retailers of MiniUni in the UK?
I wonder if there is a kit to "clean in place" for MiniUni and collect yeast and trub from the bottom - MiniUni seems to be too new on the market, so I probably should look at some other brands that may fit

The malt Miller also have a good video of making a lager under pressure. They left it in a warehouse where it got into the high 20s during the day and it made a lager.

A question to everyone - I am thinking BrewTools MiniUni might be a good option for me as it is a pressure fermenter that allows serving, I like the idea of having one system instead of two.
I know this thread is a little old, but miniuni popped up in another thread on here (can't find it now) and I looked it up. As you say, in the blurb they say that you can serve direct from the miniuni.
I'm not that interested in pressure fermenting, and I have always bottled rather than kegged. But I do like the idea of neither bottling nor kegging! Is it a realistic option to dump trub from the bottom valve and later on just serve directly from the miniuni, or is that marketing puff?

I know this thread is a little old, but miniuni popped up in another thread on here (can't find it now) and I looked it up. As you say, in the blurb they say that you can serve direct from the miniuni.
I'm not that interested in pressure fermenting, and I have always bottled rather than kegged. But I do like the idea of neither bottling nor kegging! Is it a realistic option to dump trub from the bottom valve and later on just serve directly from the miniuni, or is that marketing puff?
You can do it with Apollo Unitank too, I was recommended it over Unitank because it is easier to use. People find it cool that I serve right from the fermenter. I am now seriously considering brewing in a keg without removing trub and serve directly from there – at the moment, I give away about 10 litres a week, so a keg should finish in 2 weeks, trub should not affect the taste of the ale

The Malt Miller pointed out that it's possible to fit the dual-valve from the Grainfather GF30 to the bottom of the mini-uni because it's a standard 2" tri-clamp fitting. Of course, it's not officially pressure rated because neither is the GF30, so should be treated with caution, but I've had my GF30 up around 1 bar (14.5psi) when I've been performing closed transfers and not had an issue.

I usually ferment and, at home, serve from a corny keg using a floating dip tube and pressure transfer into PET bottles or a 5 litre keg if I want to transport the beer.

Something that had always got my goat about cornies is 19 litre capacity and that silly hole.

Now then, converting a keg with a 4" triclover ferrule really appeals, as a ferment & serve.

You can use a clean ale yeast, keep the rest the same. 23 is high though for a clean ferment with something like US05. 18-20 would be better.

Latest posts

Back