Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think closing the pubs is a mistake they should have said you can drink with a pre booked meal for no more than two hours this has worked here so no need for the full ban in my view.

I haven't a clue how long beer keeps in a cooled cellar so if it's more than 4 weeks they may not need to pour it away.
Doesn't fosters taste the same fresh as when it's gone off ashock1 so that won't be chuck ed mores the pity.

I am specifically ranting about the nonsensical decision to ban pubs from selling takeaway beer.
... it seems the government has now backtracked on that decision, and will allow takeaway alcohol sales ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54803070... there's still the small matter of the pub needing to arrange a pre-ordering mechanism, and customers won't be allowed inside ... but I'm sure a sign affixed to the wall near the back end of the queue, with a phone number to text your order to the bar set up at the front door of the pub (and at the front of the queue), should suffice :roll:

Cheers, PhilB

... there's still the small matter of the pub needing to arrange a pre-ordering mechanism, and customers won't be allowed inside ... but I'm sure a sign affixed to the wall near the back end of the queue, with a phone number to text your order to the bar set up at the front door of the pub (and at the front of the queue), should suffice :roll:
You could block up the door with a board with some buttons on it and a serving hatch. it would then be a beer vending machine. :laugh8:

... it seems the government has now backtracked on that decision, and will allow takeaway alcohol sales ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54803070... there's still the small matter of the pub needing to arrange a pre-ordering mechanism, and customers won't be allowed inside ... but I'm sure a sign affixed to the wall near the back end of the queue, with a phone number to text your order to the bar set up at the front door of the pub (and at the front of the queue), should suffice :roll:

Cheers, PhilB
I visited the Sixpenny brewery in Cranborne, Dorset back in July and grabbed a couple of 4 pint takeaways. I placed my order at one door where there was a table placed preventing me getting closer than 2 metres and was passed the contactless payment machine in a fishing net at the end of a 2m pole. I tapped my card and collected at another door a bit further down when my beers were Placed on a different table and sprayed with sanitiser by someone wearing gloves and a mask. I picked them up after he‘d gone back inside again. A bit of a long story but just shows it can be done safely so these tap rooms can at least continue to have some sort of income.

I'm all for off-sales of alcohol from pubs, bars and breweries during the lockdown however the main issue seems to have been large number of imbibers congregating in the streets drinking said alcohol and thus flouting the restrictions. As always, it's a minority of eejits spoiling it for the rest of us.

I hope this does not upset anybody, nobody likes their belief system questioned. But i believe you should question everything and if the government's scientists want to manipulate data because the real data is not showing what they want it to, then we should look at an in depth alternative analysis.

I hope this does not upset anybody, nobody likes their belief system questioned. But i believe you should question everything and if the government's scientists want to manipulate data because the real data is not showing what they want it to, then we should look at an in depth alternative analysis.

If this guy can prove we have been lied to and still are being lied to and a lockdown will achieve nothing why hasn't the video gone viral, why would the WHO lie to the government and why would the government play Russian roulette with the economy if lockdown achieves nothing?

If this guy can prove we have been lied to and still are being lied to and a lockdown will achieve nothing why hasn't the video gone viral, why would the WHO lie to the government and why would the government play Russian roulette with the economy if lockdown achieves nothing?
I think they have politically dug themselves into a very deep hole and the only way out is with a long ladder in the shape of a vaccine.
If it is proven they have wrecked the economy needlessly, can you imagine the anger from the people who's lives have been and will be wrecked.
It will destroy the whole fabric of society and any trust we have with authority.

22:40 - "I think the two characters that are talking and are trying to ruin the UK economy should probably be brought into court with proper data and maybe serve a custodial because what's the punishment for destroying your country, i recon it should be pretty tough"

I wish he had said this at the beginning it would have saved me listening to him for 23 minutes.

I think they have politically dug themselves into a very deep hole and the only way out is with a long ladder in the shape of a vaccine.
If it is proven they have wrecked the economy needlessly, can you imagine the anger from the people who's lives have been and will be wrecked.
It will destroy the whole fabric of society and any trust we have with authority.

If the guy in the video can work it out why haven't lots of others and why haven't they sent all the info to the papers i am sure they would be falling over themselves to publish it.

Not at all convinced by the video in post #594 so a quick internet search later..........

Might be TL;DR for some but a detailed take down of Ivor Cummins, professional conspiracy theorist, from a proper medical doctor.

For a summary watch from 16:00

MSI FACT CHECK: Ivor Cummins: "UK Outlook Explained Oct 3rd"

Not at all convinced by the video in post #594 so a quick internet search later..........

Might be TL;DR for some but a detailed take down of Ivor Cummins, professional conspiracy theorist, from a proper medical doctor.

For a summary watch from 16:00

MSI FACT CHECK: Ivor Cummins: "UK Outlook Explained Oct 3rd"

Again i will say - If the guy in the video can work it out why haven't lots of others and why haven't they sent all the info to the papers i am sure they would be falling over themselves to publish it.

Again i will say - If the guy in the video can work it out why haven't lots of others and why haven't they sent all the info to the papers i am sure they would be falling over themselves to publish it.

But he hasn’t worked it out in my opinion, if you follow the doctors argument in his debunking of Cummins video, he says he’s being selective in the figures he uses to sow doubts and divisions in the general public on not just the UK governments handling of Covid but every other government too. He’s a charlatan peddling dangerous nonsense. He has no medical or epidemiological qualifications or experience. Not someone I’d trust to give me any advice on how best to stay safe in the current environment.

But hey, we live in a democracy and everyone has a right to an opinion, don’t let facts get in the way though 😶

Last edited:
image.jpeg

MPs have backed a four-week lockdown in England to combat coronavirus, which will kick in at midnight.

Boris Johnson saw off a rebellion by 34 Tory MPs opposed to the move, with the support of Labour.

The government won the vote by 516 to 39, a majority of 477.

The prime minister told MPs a second lockdown was needed to "contain the surge" in Covid cases - but rebels warned it would wreck businesses and lives.

The Tory rebels included former leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith and Sir Graham Brady, chairman of the influential 1922 committee of backbenchers.

It comes as the government said a further 492 people had died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19. This brings the UK total to 47,742.

The number of deaths reported on Wednesday is the highest daily figure since 19 May, when 500 deaths were reported.

The lockdown in England includes the closure of pubs, gyms and non-essential shops.

It will replace the three tiers of regional restrictions across England for four weeks, until 2 December, when ministers hope to return to a regional approach.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54813615

5 live reporting people queuing at hairdressers and opticians and many are staying open until midnight, its 4 weeks FFS. aheadbutt

Takeaway beer sales 'will make a significant difference'

1604521017679.png

A government U-turn allowing pubs to sell takeaway beer during the latest lockdown has been broadly welcomed by the industry, but some chains say they will still struggle to survive.

Kris Gumbrell, chief executive officer of 22-pub chain Brewhouse & Kitchen, said it was "a tremendous result".

"I think it will make a significant difference, not only for my company, but for the entire sector", he told Radio 4's Today Programme.

During the first lockdown, a lot of pubs served takeaway meals and drinks as another revenue stream, which was "essential", he said.

"What we noticed is that businesses evolve through a crisis, and also the guest evolves through a crisis as well. People miss pubs, they miss the connection, they miss the community part of what a pub actually means, so they want to support their local pub," he said.

"Giving a pub the opportunity to open up a new revenue stream was really critical in helping to pay those bills," he said.

However, Mark Newcombe, head of a community-run pub called the Craufurd Arms, in Maidenhead, says his pub will still have to close for the duration.

Under the new restrictions, customers must order their drink via a website, phone or text message. Deliveries are also allowed.

Pre-ordered alcohol can be collected by customers as long as they do not enter the premises, the legislation says.

Mr Newcombe's pub stayed open when the first lockdown rules were eased because it was able to serve takeaway real ale on the spot.

But this time it will close for the second one because his pub doesn't have an app, and is "not in the position to run a [pre-ordered] takeaway service," he said.

To keep its head above water, the pub will furlough staff, apply for local government grants, launch a crowdfunding campaign, and perhaps sell more shares in the venture.

As for the pub's longer-term future, he said it was "very difficult to plan" as he didn't know when it would be able to reopen.

"At the end of the day our income will be reduced to nothing," he said.

But Mr Newcombe was also concerned about the wider implications of shutting the pub on the local community, particularly on the mental health of people adjusting to a second lockdown who may use the pub for social interactions.

The new restrictions "take away that social engagement", he said.

Plans published at the weekend originally suggested that while restaurants could sell takeaway food, takeaway alcohol was to be banned.

The industry has hailed the turnaround as a small victory but said the rules should allow venues to sell drink in the same way as an off-licence.

"Takeaway alcohol from pubs if it is pre-ordered and customers don't enter the premises is movement, but still not anywhere near enough," said Emma McClarkin, chief executive of the British Beer & Pub Association.

"Supermarkets and off-licences can still sell alcohol, so this is grossly unfair on pubs with off-licences. It remains the case that to help pubs and brewers survive, and to stop up to 7.5 million pints from being wasted, the government needs to give pubs the same ability to sell off-licence alcohol as it did in the first lockdown."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54803070

Latest posts

Back