Covid-19 the second wave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, in other to prevent us all getting too depressed, let's have some good news;

Coronavirus T-cell immunity lasts at least six months even when antibodies are undetectable

'
Professor Paul Moss, the UK Coronavirus Immunology Consortium lead, of the University of Birmingham, said: "There have been concerns that the level of antibodies can decline within the first few months with some challenging recent reports. But we saw responses in everybody.

"To our knowledge, our study is the first in the world to show robust cellular immunity remains at six months after infection in individuals who experienced either mild/moderate or asymptomatic Covid-19. Six months is an early time point, and cells can live for a very long time."

'

However, in other to prevent us all getting too depressed, let's have some good news;

Coronavirus T-cell immunity lasts at least six months even when antibodies are undetectable

'
Professor Paul Moss, the UK Coronavirus Immunology Consortium lead, of the University of Birmingham, said: "There have been concerns that the level of antibodies can decline within the first few months with some challenging recent reports. But we saw responses in everybody.

"To our knowledge, our study is the first in the world to show robust cellular immunity remains at six months after infection in individuals who experienced either mild/moderate or asymptomatic Covid-19. Six months is an early time point, and cells can live for a very long time."

'

I just heard a professor on the radio saying that sars cov 1 outbreak in the early 2000’s has shown that people who were infected then still have good levels of T-cell immunity to this day. He also believes one the reasons many people are asymptomatic is because of the effect of other corona virus such as the common cold have on the immune system.
He was really frustrated because SAGE refuse to take account of this due to it not being easy to test for.
It makes their models almost worthless.

Last edited:
Looks like the horror graph presented on Saturday night may well have been flawed;

'Prof Carl Heneghan, the director of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, at Oxford University, said he was “deeply concerned” by the selection of data which were not based on the current reality.

He said: “Our job as scientists is to reflect the evidence and the uncertainties and to provide the latest estimates.”

“I cannot understand why they have used this data, when there are far more up-to-date forecasts from Cambridge that they could have accessed, which show something very different.”

Prof Heneghan said his analysis suggests the forecasts could be four to five times too high.'

Also, they are going to ban pubs from doing takeaway alcohol - I cannot see how this has anything whatsoever to do with preventing the spread of covid19, it isn't like the virus doesn't attack you if you are picking up a burger but does if you add a takeaway pint to it, and just fuels my suspicion that anti-booze temperance types in PHE are gold plating things in order to further their agenda.

Depressing meetings at work today ~ this lockdown will kill of much of the green shoots of the V shaped recovery.

From what I have read they were worried about a load of people stood outside pubs drinking takeaway beer. Which looking at some of the scenes in towns and cities up and down the country, it is believable

From what I have read they were worried about a load of people stood outside pubs drinking takeaway beer. Which looking at some of the scenes in towns and cities up and down the country, it is believable
Don't buy it, I'm afraid. I didn't see that anywhere, and *all* the boozers round here were doing take out.

Additionally, how many outbreaks were traced back to such events? I would humbly suggest about zero.

Don't buy it, I'm afraid. I didn't see that anywhere, and *all* the boozers round here were doing take out.

Additionally, how many outbreaks were traced back to such events? I would humbly suggest about zero.

You didn't see the masses standing outside watching a football game? People playing cricket in town centres. Loads of photos of similar incidents. I would think it was slightly more than zero.

I didn't see a single instance. Given the hysterics in the press at the time over the slightest thing, I would want to see evidenced cases traced back to such things before ruining the livelihoods of many landlords.

I saw the one were they were playing cricket and all the students in Nottingham Newcastle Bristol its happening up and down the country, the next round will Wednesday night, we need a proper lock down

Hang on ,we are talking about people being able to buy takeaway beer during lockdown.

There weren't any students during lockdown. Everywhere was shut? I'm confused.

Can one of you provide a link?

Thanks @Rodcx500z . That kind of demonstrates my point. That article is from 11th October, when we weren't in lockdown. It was the, predicted by everyone, consequence of the 10pm curfew.

I don't see how it can be used to justify not being able to buy takeaway pints with your takeaway chicken.

We will be in lockdown. You won't be able to 'hang around' as you have to stay inside.

Can I ask you. What is the answer. It's easy to point out the fault's, not so easy to work out the solution.

I am specifically ranting about the nonsensical decision to ban pubs from selling takeaway beer.

So, I would argue that the vast, vast majority of people who brought takeaway ale during the first lockdown obeyed the rules, and the instances of infection clusters attributable to the availability of takeaway beer is around zero.

Given the police have the powers to disperse / fine those hanging around outside without good reason, or those refusing to go home when requested, then the sale of takeaway beer should be allowed to help the struggling pub trade and bring some cheer to our miserable lives!

On a more philosophical level, I am arguing that unless something can be proven to increase infection rates l, the state has absolutely no business banning it.

I am specifically ranting about the nonsensical decision to ban pubs from selling takeaway beer.

So, I would argue that the vast, vast majority of people who brought takeaway ale during the first lockdown obeyed the rules, and the instances of infection clusters attributable to the availability of takeaway beer is around zero.

Given the police have the powers to disperse / fine those hanging around outside without good reason, or those refusing to go home when requested, then the sale of takeaway beer should be allowed to help the struggling pub trade and bring some cheer to our miserable lives!

On a more philosophical level, I am arguing that unless something can be proven to increase infection rates l, the state has absolutely no business banning it.
I always wondered how they associated blame to where the person contracted covid. I live in N. Ireland they seem to be blaming hospitality plus house party's. Not sure how they work this out.
As to the question to bars supplying take outs. I don't see a problem if they are taking the beer home. If it's a crowd gathered outside you may as well open the bar and let them inside

Latest posts

Back