Covid the jab and the final stage.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not many in that 24 hour period

279,778 total.

I can only assume the snow has had a huge impact on peoples ability to travel to get their vaccines as the daily figures have been fairly steady for a while.

Logically, these impressively high numbers can't continue for ever because eventually, some of the capacity will need to start to be used to give people their second doses.

I think they will increase the amount of places you can get the vaccine (they have just set one up here in a sports complex) so it shouldn't be an issue, i was talking to a bloke last week who was about to go on a training course to be able to give the jab he is a firefighter.

It looks like they are going to do this everywhere -

Firefighters in Hampshire are the latest group to join the NHS staff in helping deliver Covid vaccinations as the number of sites providing the life-saving jabs tops 1,500.

Around 60 firefighters and support staff from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service are vaccinating at centres across the region, including Basingstoke fire station, where crews are still answering 999 calls.

It is one of 39 new large-scale NHS vaccination centres to go live this week along with 62 more pharmacy-led sites as the biggest immunisation programme in health service history continues to accelerate.

The expansion follows a major milestone with residents at all eligible care homes having been offered a jab where safe to do so, protecting one of the most at-risk groups in the country.

Selhurst Park in south east London, the home ground of Premier League football club Crystal Palace, the Royal Cornwall Showground and Chelmsford Racecourse, join almost 40 new large-scale vaccination centres opening across England.

There are now almost 90 large vaccination centres and 192 sites run by High Street pharmacies where people aged 70 or over can arrange a jab through the national booking service.

Those who would prefer can wait to be invited to one of more than 1,000 GP-led services or more than 250 hospital hubs.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2021/02/...-staff-in-helping-deliver-covid-vaccinations/

At the same time the intention seems to be to keep growing total capacity if they're to hit the targets being mooted. It seems that we've had >90% takeup in the high-risk groups, assume a bit less among the young. But in broad terms we've almost 1-jabbed 15m very-high-risk 1-4's (over 70s) within 7 weeks. Current plan seems to single-jab 15m 5-9's by week 13, then to second-jab all 30m again by week 24, then give first and second jabs to the remaining 35m by week 35 or so.

So it implies at least 50% more jabbing capacity than they have now.

This paper has scanned all the possible mutations in the relevant bit of the virus and found that E484 is the most vulnerable site in terms of escaping antibodies, which is the one that's mutated in the South African and Brazilian variants. So obviously it's bad that at the very least the virus has "found" that bad mutation, but it is kind of encouraging that it's something like the worst case scenario.

https://www.cell.com/cell-host-microbe/fulltext/S1931-3128(21)00082-2

Low numbers again today - 352,480

1612887493069.png

1612887624504.png

£1,700 to quarantine in a hotel and big fines if you don't, that's going to ruin your holiday.

From BBC News
The penalties include a £1,000 penalty for travellers who fail to take mandatory tests and a £2,000 fine for failing to take the second mandatory test - along with a 14-day extension to quarantine.
Failing to quarantine in a designated hotel carries fine of between £5,000 and £10,000.

..... but there are also those who mentally are at the end of their tether.

Interesting research paper I saw today:

COVID-19 and the Political Economy of Mass Hysteria.
https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/18/4/1376/htm
Not trying to downplay the seriousness of COVID-19, but the paper does make some interesting points about the unintended consequences of lockdown, comparison with other causes of death and the way in which the media, including social media, can force the government to act in ways in which may not be the most effective for society at large.

My misses phoned the doctors today as she is in the high risk group, she only phoned to get an idea of when she would get it, walla 10-06pm thursday thats a big weight off our minds

10 year jail sentence for those who lie about where they have come from entering the UK. More than sex offenders and some murderers, complete **** from this government, 6 months is enough.

WHO statement on Oxford-Zeneca vaccine, now recommending 8-12 weeks, to be used on everyone over 18 with no upper age limit, not worried about mutation escape at this stage given limited data, it should still work in preventing severe disease (and we're better off getting people jabbed now with something that has practical logistics in developing countries rather than waiting for a network of -80C freezers)

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1YqKDeAVyLwGV

10 year jail sentence for those who lie about where they have come from entering the UK. More than sex offenders and some murderers, complete **** from this government, 6 months is enough.

I think its the threat of such a long term that may have the desired effect if they said a maximum of 6 months idiots would chance not getting caught.

I will show my **** in Wellworths window if a single person ever gets 10 years.

I will show my **** in Wellworths window if a single person ever gets 10 years.
I think the maximum will only be applied to some **** who already knows he has covid but still flying in.
Comparing the sentence to murderers etc is a bit stupid really. If you brought a new variant of covid into the country with you you could be effectively killing tens of thousands.

THE Government has been urged to give a date for when pubs can reopen by pub sector leaders.

Pubs have been forced to throw away up to 87 million pints of beer in the UK since the start of the pandemic, an industry body has claimed.

The British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA) said the waste was the equivalent of £331 million in sales, based on the average cost of a pint at £3.81.

Dave Stubbins, branch chairman at Furness Campaign for Real Ale, said: “Obviously there is a production cycle in creating beer.

“Pubs need an opening date to know when they can start ordering beer, and breweries need to know when pubs are going to start ordering beer before they make any.

“The health of the nation is crucial and the Government have a big job on their hands at the moment.

“If the NHS intensive care wards are still full in a few months time, we are not going to be relaxing anything.

“We don’t want them to release all this information then all of a sudden we are in a major crisis again.

“They need to put the steps in place to make sure we have a thriving pub industry in place when we return.

“If they cannot open, make sure they are still around with proper support.”

The government insists that it has a plan for re-opening the economy which it will reveal after 22 February.

Emma McClarkin, the BBPA’s chief executive, warned there would be a "wave of closures" and job losses in the sector unless the Government provides further financial support.

She has called for an extension to the VAT cut for the hospitality sector and a reduction to the UK's "excessive" beer duty - the tax on selling and producing beer.

Ms McClarkin said: "Our sector is in limbo. And at several points in the last 12 months, pubs and breweries have effectively had to pour their revenues down the drain.

"We have no idea or clarity from Government on when we can reopen again."

If pubs are told to stay closed beyond March, Ms McClarkin said further Government grants would be needed to support them.

"Without this, neither pubs or brewers will be around to brew and serve beer when we can reopen", she said.

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/19080639.government-urged-announce-reopening-date-pubs/

I got a letter from the NHS telling me to book my jab appointment online. Went to the website and it said I needed to be over 70. I'm 68 but had a go but it said I wasn't 70 so do not qualify. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back