Cranberry Juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbieD

Reaction score
I have a load of cartons of this going spare, anything in the favorite recipies to try?

In the juice form its a bit dry for me so not sure how it would turn out?

Cheeky Vimto bubbling away nicely.... didn't realise how hyptnotic the bubbles could be =)
blub...blub...blub...blub may site it on top of the tv

Thanks
Rob

You can do a Cranberry WOW, subsitute the orange for cranberry turns out a nice rose coloured wine.

RobbieD said:
Cheeky Vimto bubbling away nicely.... didn't realise how hyptnotic the bubbles could be =)
blub...blub...blub...blub may site it on top of the tv
You have to watch the bubbles, and occasionally count and time them, but beware of eruptions, I would never put an active DJ directly on carpet, let alone the TV.

muddydisco said:
You can do a Cranberry WOW, subsitute the orange for cranberry, turns out a nice rose coloured wine.
:thumb:
Cranberry or Blueberry with white or red grape juices to the Wurzel's method make good vino pinkos.

Thanks, i am having difficulties finding grape juice at the moment and will have a better look round today
I can find red grape juice however it has artificial sweetner in it does this make a difference?

Thanks
Rob

*** Cheeky Vimto still bubbling like mad - I need to put more effort into this patience thing =) ***

Try to avoid the stuff with sweetners in as this is not fermentable and will leave your wine overly sweet - aldi sells red grape juice (as do sainsburys etc) shouldn`t be to hard to find :thumb:

RobbieD said:
Thanks, i am having difficulties finding grape juice at the moment and will have a better look round today
I can find red grape juice however it has artificial sweetner in it does this make a difference?
You need to look for "100% juice" and not "juice drinks".

"Pure pressed" is better than "from concentrate".

Tesco have red and white from concentrate and are possibly the cheapest at 3 for £2.30 the last time I bought theirs. Aldi, Asda and Lidl usually have pure pressed red and white. I think Sainsbury's only stock a pressed red, and that our local Morrison's have stopped stocking grape juices and only have juice drinks now.

These WOWs smell great so I thought I'd scale up for the next lot.

I've some 'Cranberry and Raspberry Juice Drink' (no preservatives) which has 126g/l sugar, and, 'citric acid'. Also, some Vitafit 100% pure pressed Red grape juice but without a sugar content on the carton :wha:

!] Will my wow need more citric acid?
2] How much citric acid, per litre or gallon, should be added for for a WOW if citric fruit isn't used?

Sorry but more newbie questions...

3] I would like t' make 20 litres of pink WOW around the average WOW strength (12% ish ABV); how (EDIT-much) sugar is in this lidle Red Grape as I can't find it on the inter-web?

I think I would be tempted to add a little more citric, but only half a tsp to the gallon.

Tesco's pure pressed red grape juice contains 156g sugar in the litre, so I would guestimate that Lidl's is going to be pretty similar.

Thanks Moley. :thumb:

I've been looking at the Cranberry/Raspberry carton again!
It contains Glucose-Fructose Syrup, which, from deep in the WOW thread is ok, but it has extra Vitamic C! What happens to the Vit C, its not a sweetener is it?

Also, I've been looking at the sugar content-
For the original plan of 20 litres, without adding extra sugar, it appears from the sugar content of the cartons that Cranberry/Raspberry (104g/l) +Red grape juice (156g/l) gives a potential ABV of over 14% nearly 15% if fermented to 1.000 (I think!!!!!!!) and higher if fermented to dry! Is this right?

Im am unsure here. again :roll: But, if the Vit C doesn't do anything to the flavour/sweetness then could I simply add more water ( in my case to approx 24 litres to ferment to dry) to reduce the sugar content to a max poential ABV of 12%, or does that mess with the 'balance'/'consistancy' of the WOW (-in which case I will edit- need different juice!)?

Plan for 12% rose wow looking a bit shaky :roll:

It's funny, I joined the forum to learn about AG (and how to use the internet) yet I've found myself doing wine, mead, and even looking at wine from fruit! Brewing does grab you! Especially when I walk past the shelves in the Supermarket :D
YogiB

Can we rewind a bit, I'm getting confused now.

How much of each juice and what sort of fermenter are you thinking of using?

If you're aiming for 20 litres I would suggest 5l RGJ + 4l Cran/Rasp

That would give (5 x 156) + (4 x 104) = 1196g

For 12% abv you want an OG around 1.085 = 230g sugar/litre x 20 = 4600

4600 - 1196 = 3404g still to add.

Glucose / fructose syrup is great, fully fermentable. Ignore the Vitamin C, it won't have any detrimental effect and the yeasties will probably enjoy it.

Sorry, got my figures wrong.. even the cranberry...which is 126g/l.... definately getting my eyes tested... :D

Thanks for what you've written Moley :thumb: :thumb: . I made a couple of errors there!

My mistake was scaling up the ingredient and the sugar too; I just added 4 x 126g (cran/rasp) + 5 x 156g (red grape) + [the mistake: 5 x 900g sugar (taken from basic wow recipe where oj has less sugar than the cran/rasp) typed into calculator but forgotten about when writing ingredients onto post :roll: ] giving 289g/l in 20 litres.

Clearly, 4,600 in the target for the complete total of sugars - wasn't clear to me last night though :lol:
I think [now that you have explained it :grin: ] that: 4600g - x g [sugar content of these juices] for 20 litres would mean 4600g - 1284g = 3316g sugar to add into the Young's 5gal fermenter.

If I am right I'll stick this on today :?:

Back