crown cappers ???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr BR

Regular.
Reaction score
short but sweet which is the best crown capper to get youngs,emily which one as iam in the process of switching to pint bottles instead of the 2 ltr PET bottles i have been using so any reviews greatly appreciated :cheers:

Yip. another vote for the bench capper. i have had mine for years and its been brilliant. :thumb:

Never fancied crown caps, and fortunately never needed to use them. In the late sixties I came by 42 old 2 pint Bulmer's cider bottles which I've used continuously for kit brewing ever since. I can still buy the red rubber stopper seals and the stoppers from the LHBS. But I'll bet the bottles now are as rare as rocking horse manure. :D

thanks for all the replies looks like it will be a bench top job then as i am planning to give it a lot of use in the future lol :cheers:

Only problem with the bench style capper is that you need all off the bottles to be the same height. Two handle capper will be easier if you have different sized bottles.

flamingo said:
Never fancied crown caps, and fortunately never needed to use them. In the late sixties I came by 42 old 2 pint Bulmer's cider bottles which I've used continuously for kit brewing ever since. I can still buy the red rubber stopper seals and the stoppers from the LHBS. But I'll bet the bottles now are as rare as rocking horse manure. :D

I have a dozen of those although I have never used them. I keep meaning to get the red seals and give them a whirl at some point. I got them when a brewing pal was havign a clearout and he wanted rid of them.

Another vote for bench capper here.
Only problem with the bench style capper is that you need all off the bottles to be the same height. Two handle capper will be easier if you have different sized bottles.
My bench capper is adjustable in height for just that reason, aren't most :hmm:
Froum sponsor The Homebrew Company sell them here as do Balliihoo and both are adjustable in height :thumb:

flamingo said:
In the late sixties I came by 42 old 2 pint Bulmer's cider bottles which I've used continuously for kit brewing ever since. I can still buy the red rubber stopper seals and the stoppers from the LHBS. But I'll bet the bottles now are as rare as rocking horse manure.
Coincidentally: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22113

Moley said:
flamingo said:
In the late sixties I came by 42 old 2 pint Bulmer's cider bottles which I've used continuously for kit brewing ever since. I can still buy the red rubber stopper seals and the stoppers from the LHBS. But I'll bet the bottles now are as rare as rocking horse manure.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22113

you do see some of them bottles for sale on ebay

I have a bench capper on order.
I managed to snap the neck of one bottle with my 2-lever capper, scared me half to death.
Last couple of batches, I've used a hammer-on capper to get the main seal then made sure it's tight with the lever capper.
I actually feel I'm less likely to break a bottle with the hammer-on one!
Rubber mallet, slight cushioning under bottle, etc

oldbloke said:
I have a bench capper on order.
I managed to snap the neck of one bottle with my 2-lever capper, scared me half to death.
Last couple of batches, I've used a hammer-on capper to get the main seal then made sure it's tight with the lever capper.
I actually feel I'm less likely to break a bottle with the hammer-on one!
Rubber mallet, slight cushioning under bottle, etc

Once you've got your bench capper you'll wish you'd got one sooner :!:

It's just a question of getting the right amount of pressure, half a dozen bottles and I'm sure you'll have it cracked :thumb:

(although thats maybe not an appropriate phrase if you know what I mean :whistle: :lol: )

dps said:
Moley said:
flamingo said:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewt ... 37&t=22113

you do see some of them bottles for sale on ebay

My LHBS sells them as well ( or at least used to ) - I have a dozen or so :thumb:

Moley/Dps/Hawks.

Interesting to see that the old Bulmers bottles can still be obtained.

I shouldn't think he'd have much of a problem selling them. After using mine for forty years I can vouch for their value.

Latest posts

Back