crust on top of brew after fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike-os

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have just racked an AG IPA.... usual suspects with US-05

fermentation as per, down to 1010.. spot on

taste & smell great

only oddity is it looked like the trub (i guess) had risen and was sitting on top on the brew... looked like a holey cheese, soft but stiffer than krausen

any ideas as to whats going on? anyone had similar?

I have just racked an AG IPA.... usual suspects with US-05

fermentation as per, down to 1010.. spot on

taste & smell great

only oddity is it looked like the trub (i guess) had risen and was sitting on top on the brew... looked like a holey cheese, soft but stiffer than krausen

any ideas as to whats going on? anyone had similar?

US 05 has some unfamiliar traits for a first time user. It does not throw a lot of krausen, needs 2 weeks in the FV, and leaves a lot of floating little islands of yeasts on the surface much later than the other yeasts I have used.

Makes very reliable, clean tasting beer, though, and at temps up to those of centrally heated houses at all but the very hottest weeks of the year.

Hence its popularity. It is my "go-to" yeast for sure.

probably break material / protein. I find US05 krausen can hang around sometimes (sometimes not) but if you have lots of floating bits its probably just break material... You could just rack underneath or try to scoop it out..

I have had it happen once or twice, first time I tried to rack and had all sorts of problems (very early on in AG brweing tbf) second time i took it out

Are you a BIABer and just chuck everything into the FV? I am and do and the crusty thing happens to me too.

As Cov says, it's break material/protien. When you put your wort into the FV, it's heavy so falls to the bottom of the FV pretty quickly. However as the yeast starts to produce C02 all that break material gets carried to the top of the wort to form a crust. I find once the initial, more vigours fermentation has died down it then sinks back to the bottom of the FV

No I mash in a tun, use a flocculant and have a bazooka strainer in the boiler, I may be tipping too much and chucking too much break into the fv,

I was expecting it to have sunk, maybe it was the quantity forming a nearly complete layer rather than clumps

I have had odd bits in the past, but not a crust like this... sorry no pics, too busy racking only thought about it afterwards

Cheers guys

No I mash in a tun, use a flocculant and have a bazooka strainer in the boiler, I may be tipping too much and chucking too much break into the fv,

I was expecting it to have sunk, maybe it was the quantity forming a nearly complete layer rather than clumps

I have had odd bits in the past, but not a crust like this... sorry no pics, too busy racking only thought about it afterwards

Cheers guys

When I had it it looked a bit like scrambled eggs, only had it twice.. I actually seem to get very little trub compared to how much i used to. but may have just been that brew and US05 CAN have a lasting krausen so manybe it just stuck with a bit of that..

Latest posts

Back