Czech Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nooby Ste

Reaction score
Hi, im new to brewing and i would love to make a batch of Czech Pilsner. I found this webpage (http://www.byo.com/stories/beer-styles/ ... e-calendar) and near the bottom of the page tells me step by step how to make the Pilsner and the ingredients required.

The problem is, being new to brewing i want to be sure i get it all right. I have some equipment (from the Coopers microbrewing kit) and im thinking of getting a water boiler.

Can someone please simplify the following step by step instuctions and add more detail with what exacly i have to do please? As i just want to be sure:

Mash grain in 2.75 gal. of water for 60 min. at 149° F. Sparge with enough 168° F water to yield 5.75 gal. of wort.

Total boil time is 90 min. At beginning of boil add 2.5 oz. Saaz and continue for 60 min. Add 0.5 oz. Saaz and boil 30 min. At end of boil, add 1.5 oz. Saaz. Whirlpool and cool to 45° F to pitch starter.

Ferment at 40° F for 14 days then rack to secondary fermenter. Continue fermentation at 33° F until gravity is 1.010 (2.5° Plato).

OG = 1.048 (12.0° Plato) ABV = 4.5%
Color = 4.2 SRM Bitterness = 40 IBUs

The ingredients are as follows:

• 6.5 lbs. two-row pilsner malt, 1° to 2° Lovibond
• 1 lb. carapils malt, 2° Lovibond
• 1 lb. cara-Munich malt, 10° Lovibond
• 4.5 oz. Saaz whole hops (3.2% alpha acid, 12 AAUs):
2.5 oz. (5.6 AAUs) for 90 min., 0.5 oz. (1.6 AAUs) for 30 min.,
1.5 oz. (4.8 AAUs) at end of boil.
• 2 pt. yeast starter of Wyeast 2278 (Czech Pils)
• 2/3 cup corn sugar for priming

Thanks all, and sorry for my noobishness for brewing :oops:

:drink:

Latest posts

Back