Czecstrakt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leondz

Regular.
Reaction score
Czech pils (hooray) extract (boo):

Time to move away from these, there's not a lot of spraymalts available, and they're all really expensive. Had to amend this a little as the Saaz BrewUK sent (2008 czech harvest) are 3.3% AA, lower than Beersmith's estimated 4.

Grains:
2.7kg extra light dry extract
0.5kg carapils grain
0.5kg pilsner grain
60min partial mash

Hops:
80g Saaz @ 60min
60g Saaz @ 30min
20g Saaz for 20 min steep

Other:
1tsp irish moss @ 10min
1 tablet yeast nutrient in FV

Slight disaster - ran out of all yeasts apart from Gervin English ale yeast and S05, so going for the S05. Bugger. It's just rehydrating now in some 27C water (thanks for the guide Aleman!).

Oh noes.

Recipe looks good though.

I wonder what effect using the ale yeast will have.
What temp. are you fermenting at?

This is the thing I'm unsure about. I think I'll adapt so that it starts at about 18-22 for one day, then two weeks at around 10, and keep an eye on it during those weeks. Once SG drops to around 1020 (or after a decent enough wait), I'll give it a two day rest at room temp, then rack off, and bottle a little after.

From the fermentis site about S05: "Fermentation temperature: Recommended fermentation temperature: 15C – 24C (59-75F)." Hope this helps.
edit: have I got the wrong yeast? :oops:

Just brought this up to room temp for a few days and moved to another FV (needed the bucket for something else) - colour is gloriously pale gold and the hop extraction is passable given my kit (was only boiling about 12L then liquoring back), thank goodness! Really happy about that. Fermentation's not quite finished, I'll give it another few days at room temp then move the bugger to the cellar.

Seems to be quite a lot of hop particles (or something) in suspension, especially near the top - probably from the pellets, I suppose - should I try finings?

Alrighty then :) Coming from wine, I've never fined a beer before, but I've got the following ingredients:

Gelatine, glycerine, bentonite, isinglass

What's best/easiest?

I can't coment on the bentonite or glycerine, but gelatine and IG are both good for fining beer.
Personally I use IG, but lots of people use gelatine, so it's up to you really.
Gelatine is easier to prepare than dried IG, but if you have liquid IG, that's faster than preparing gelatine.

Latest posts

Back