De icing the car

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont use de icer i scrape my windscreen with my aa card that way if my works car doesnt start i dont have to fumble around in my wallet with freezing fingertips trying to get my card out :thumb: :clap:

DeanoD said:
Sean_Mc said:
BarnsleyBrewer said:
**** does the trick and it's free .... ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
youve got to be a tall lad if your going to **** on a 4x4 windscreen to de ice it :)

Nah, just talented :lol:

I scrape and wait.

I used to use hot water until I saw a windscreen implode with hot water (IRL not on youtube) and I have never used water since. 10 mins is nowt really when compared to how long you'd have to wait for a repair :D

I've always used warm water , but i also pour it on the roof first so it cools down a little while running down the glass then i pour it direct onto the glass . So far so good but i think i'll make sure it's a little cooler from now on .

Sean_Mc said:
Let it run for 10 min before I go out....nice warm car and the engine isn't stressed from cold too quickly
Leaving a running car unattended is ilegal, people have been prosecuted for it even when the car was on their own drive!

A small plant sprayer with really hot water is fine, if you heat all the glass at the same rate then there is no problem with stresses, that is not much different to cold rain landing on it, the problem comes if you pour a lot of hot water from a jug in one place instead of spreading it out evenly.

Windy said:
Leaving a running car unattended is ilegal, people have been prosecuted for it even when the car was on their own drive.

You are referring to the offence of 'quitting a motor vehicle'

Under the Motor Vehicles Construction and Use regs
"no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set."

the bit you have wrong is people being prosecuted "even when the car was on their drive" the regulations apply to vehicles on a road, you will not be prosecuted on your own driveway.

*road, a highway to which the public have access.

Baz Chaz said:
the bit you have wrong is people being prosecuted "even when the car was on their drive" the regulations apply to vehicles on a road, you will not be prosecuted on your own driveway.

*road, a highway to which the public have access.
They do sometimes still get you with it on private land, although I think they use a different offence!

Here is one example, although they didn't actually hand out any fines in this case: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthre ... p=36571182

cardboard on the front windscreen overnight, heater on 10 minutes prior to leaving whilst changing out of pyjamas and having a brew. effort level: RobWalker

Windy said:
Sean_Mc said:
Let it run for 10 min before I go out....nice warm car and the engine isn't stressed from cold too quickly
Leaving a running car unattended is ilegal, people have been prosecuted for it even when the car was on their own drive!

Its on my property :tongue:

Health and safety gone mad, with a history of mental illness

Running a cold engine on tickover for extended periods is terribly bad for the engine. You really ought to start it and drive it (unless it's a company car of course!).

Windy said:
...They do sometimes still get you with it on private land, although I think they use a different offence!

Here is one example, although they didn't actually hand out any fines in this case http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthre ... p=36571182

You cannot be prosecuted on your own property under any legislation which refers to being on a road or highway, (ie under Road Traffic Act/Highways Act) those involved were offering or being offered "advice".

"Private land prosecutions" covers the likes of a car park, ie supermarket etc where the public have access (invitation by implication ie come and shop here and you can use our car park, it then becomes a "public place") The general public do not have access to drive their vehicles on your driveway.

Back to the thread, typical since starting this thread we've had temeratures constantly below freezing, but it's been dry and the windows have been clear each morning so far, but will try the cold/lukewarm water and see how we go, sounds like it could be quicker than scraping then defrosting etc :idea:

Wezzel said:
Running a cold engine on tickover for extended periods is terribly bad for the engine. You really ought to start it and drive it.

Hmmmm I recall a few years ago a brand new Range Rover was buggered up by leaving it sitting for long periods on the A66 between Cumbria/Durham while dealing with snowbound traffic etc for hours on end, it had to be left with the engine running to power all the lights, repeater radio stystem etc. The mechanics were less that impressed !
I preferred the old Landrover every time, might not have been as quick as a Range Rover or as warm, but when it came to deep snow or serious off roading, dragging stuff off the motorway or out of a ditch the Landrover was a far better workhorse :thumb:

Latest posts

Back