Dead smack pack ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Smacked this at 3:30 this aft, still flat at quarter to nine. No point pitching it is there ?

AF36682D-3F63-43C1-81F0-50A80B318C21.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Still flat this morning. Going to pitch an alternative. It probably wouldn't do any harm as you say @The-Engineer-That-Brews to pitch it but I'd possibly lose a day waiting to see if it was going to do anything and TBH if it hasn't shown any signs of life since yesterday afternoon I'd be very surprised if it sprang to life. I've emailed TMM to let them know.

Strange that there has been two dead packs recently.

Still flat this morning. Going to pitch an alternative. It probably wouldn't do any harm as you say @The-Engineer-That-Brews to pitch it but I'd possibly lose a day waiting to see if it was going to do anything and TBH if it hasn't shown any signs of life since yesterday afternoon I'd be very surprised if it sprang to life. I've emailed TMM to let them know.

Strange that there has been two dead packs recently.
I would add it to a litre of wort. Give it a chance, nothing to lose really

My Wyeast smack pack was just out of date (only cost 3 quid) as I was going to do a starter or 2 then I wasn't bothered as there should still be plenty of live yeast in it (use by dates should have plenty of leeway).

It's been on the stir plate over 12 hours and didley squat!

My Wyeast smack pack was just out of date (only cost 3 quid) as I was going to do a starter or 2 then I wasn't bothered as there should still be plenty of live yeast in it (use by dates should have plenty of leeway).

Mine was in date. Got a credit from TMM straight away with a nice e-mail where Rob also suggests making a starter but I've already pitched an alternative. I've stuck it back in the fridge and might try making a starter with it for a future brew whilst obviously ensuring I have a plan B.

Let us know if it bursts into life.

Mine was in date. Got a credit from TMM straight away with a nice e-mail where Rob also suggests making a starter but I've already pitched an alternative. I've stuck it back in the fridge and might try making a starter with it for a future brew whilst obviously ensuring I have a plan B.

Let us know if it bursts into life.
I would always make a start when using a liquid yeast. Also lets me save some for the next brew. I have had liquid yeast 1 year past the date and still worked.

I would always make a start when using a liquid yeast. Also lets me save some for the next brew. I have had liquid yeast 1 year past the date and still worked.

I think I'm going to make a starter with it and if its showing life in the morning brew something. The yeast was London and I've already got a shelves of ESB and 80bob and the Ordinary Bitter that it should have been in has just started. So what do I make that's not just another bitter thing (bearing in mind that the missus prefers pales) ? Maybe a summer ale I think, I've got Fuggles, EKG and First Gold.

I think I'm going to make a starter with it and if its showing life in the morning brew something. The yeast was London and I've already got a shelves of ESB and 80bob and the Ordinary Bitter that it should have been in has just started. So what do I make that's not just another bitter thing (bearing in mind that the missus prefers pales) ? Maybe a summer ale I think, I've got Fuggles, EKG and First Gold.
How about an Oatmeal Stout? Lovely when it's chilled on a hot summer day... (if we ever get such a thing)

I did this recently with an unusual strain I'd not used. I'd had it for around 14 months. Didn't want to ditch it, so just started small, and did a few starter steps. Thought it was dead initially, but lo and behold, it very vigorous when I stepped up to 1L starter.

My record is nearly 5 years :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...quid-yeast-after-the-best-before-date.697114/

Be gentle with it - small steps, and do the first one in 5% DME (1.020-ish) then 10% (1.040-ish) thereafter, pop a hop pellet in to discourage nasties in the 10% ones before they go in the pressure cooker, and you should be OK.

It's not something to encourage, but it can be done.

Made a starter yesterday afternoon. This morning its not exactly trying to escape. It doesn't respond to being poked by a stick either. :laugh8:

I think the best I could do with it now is use it to make a starter from a half packet of Verdant IPA I found in the freezer when I was looking for stand-in yeast.

This was my first smack pack so wasn't sure what to expect. When I put it into the starter the inner bag was in two sections/halves, one had 'popped', the other seemed to be intact so I cut it open to pour into the starter. Is this normal ?

This was my first smack pack so wasn't sure what to expect. When I put it into the starter the inner bag was in two sections/halves, one had 'popped', the other seemed to be intact so I cut it open to pour into the starter. Is this normal ?

I have had smack packs not inflate and likewise, I've had smack packs already inflated when I get them after shipping. Sometimes if they don't inflate, it's because managed to get the little bag of yeast nutrient open, so I do cut open and add to my starter.

I always make a starter if it inflates or not. Sometimes, it takes a bit of time for the starter to get going. But better than the beer. The one and only time I did not make a starter with liquid yeast, I had no fermentation at all and ended up pitching a dry yeast a few days later when I managed to get some. Worst beer I ever made. Vile. Sink dumper.

Haven’t had to do this, but I can’t see the harm in it.

Back