Deep fried sprouts.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I love sprouts but not sure i fancy them battered.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbMuz5JoCjA[/ame]

Tempura broccoli is delicious. They are semi similar veggies so maybe. I'd certainly try some if offered.

The lass in the video is well impressed at her age most would turn their noses up at sprouts however they were cooked.

All those people who think it's trendy and clever to jump on the "I hate sprouts so much" bandwagon.... they don't know what they're missing. Sprouts, not Ambrosia, are actually the real food of the gods - that's why I eat so many of them. The key is in the cooking and it's so simple. Boil for 5 mins then fry in very hot butter until they just start turning brown and crispy, when they are utterly transformed from the usual fayre churned out across the land once a year by ignorant oafs chasing tradition, only to be ridiculed. Sprouts - they are not just for Xmas.

Couldnt agree more gunge. Some smoked bacon fried in there as well is my preferred method.

All those people who think it's trendy and clever to jump on the "I hate sprouts so much" bandwagon.... they don't know what they're missing. Sprouts, not Ambrosia, are actually the real food of the gods - that's why I eat so many of them. The key is in the cooking and it's so simple. Boil for 5 mins then fry in very hot butter until they just start turning brown and crispy, when they are utterly transformed from the usual fayre churned out across the land once a year by ignorant oafs chasing tradition, only to be ridiculed. Sprouts - they are not just for Xmas.

I hate sprouts cooked the normal way but perhaps I would like them using your cooking method :thumb:

I don't know how Mrs Tea cooks them but they taste great, i think a lot of people like to jump on the "i hate sprouts" band wagon because its there to be jumped on every Christmas.

I don't know how Mrs Tea cooks them but they taste great, i think a lot of people like to jump on the "i hate sprouts" band wagon because its there to be jumped on every Christmas.

Nope. It's simply because they are utterly vile cooked how most people cook them. If you must boil them, do it for 5 mins as gunge says and leave the lid off (allows compounds that cause that metallic taste to be boiled off).

Gunge and Ciaran have got this. Fried with butter and bacon they are delicious. Chuck a slug of white wine in there too. My late mum once served up purple sprouts on Christmas Day. She didn't have any white wine open so threw red in instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slice them up and heat a pan with a bloody great chunk of butter till it starts to smoke.
Drop in a big handful of bacon bits or pancetta and fry till crispy.
Add the sliced sprouts and leave them alone until they brown/blacken and turn them over and do the same on the other side.
Season with a big healthy dose of cracked black pepper and salt and serve piping hot.

Blooming gorgeous!!!!

I love sprouts, preferably boiled or microwaved (with a teaspoon of water) to the point where they are just still a tiny bit firm. That's how I like my broccoli too. :twisted:

I would try them but tbh I would probably prefer them as they were..

Sprouts get a bad rep but I like them, I don't know why they are hated so much

Back