Different types of Wheat and Barley question?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLA91

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry I seem to be asking lots of questions recently but I finish my exams this week so I am looking through recipes seeing what I can make to keep me occupied over the summer and the more I look the more questions seem to arise.

1) Wheat - I have seen wheat in recipes but looking at shops I can find Bulgar wheat (Tesco) and natural wheatgerm in Holland and Barrett, are any of those what is asked for in recipes?

2)Barley - I have seen recipes on this forum and other forums using wheat barley, but one person on another forum said you can use pearl barley if you cant get hold of other as if its inferior to what is asked for, so I looked at Holland & Barrett and they do Barley Flakes. are any of these what is asked for in the recipes?

The recipes seem to just ask for "Wheat" or "Barley" and there are so many different types of each that I need advice.

Thank-you for your patience guys & gals

HLA91

flaked barley and flaked wheat are used but its better to buy from a home brew outlet as the wheat from the home brew shops are for home brewing. Barley for use in brewing is usually malted too

The problem I have is I don't have any HBS in my area so asda/tesco/Holland and Barrett are my only shops unless I resort to the internet.

ahhh, will pearl barley suffice with acceptable results, otherwise its not economically feasible for me to make, I did find one shop with £3.50 postage but thats still too much for me.

I know that's quite cheap but still that's £5 for one ingredient and I cannot afford that.

Anyone living in South Wales and would like to share an order? I live in Porthcawl.

For use in winemaking recipes you will usually want unmalted grains.

H&B's flaked barley might be a better option than Tesco's pearl barley, but you could use either. If you can't get whole or kibbled wheat, bulgar will do.

Well wildbrew has commented on his pearl barley wine saying its good and http://www.the-online-homebrew-comp...?t=28455&sid=4af809ab4fdd0bc87d9a3db59ccbfdca they say its good so I think I will give it a crack it cant be bad.
I was going to make Dried Apricot wine which uses barley as well but the price of dried apricots has put me off, £5 a kilo.

@Moley any chance you can link me to what wheat and barley you use please just so if I do come into some money I can at least give it a go with the proper stuff, thanks.

@bobartex next time I am in Cardiff where there are quite a few Asian shops I will have a gander, thanks.

Cheers guys

HLA91

HLA91 said:
@Moley any chance you can link me to what wheat and barley you use please just so if I do come into some money I can at least give it a go with the proper stuff, thanks.
Not really, I tend to grab a bag or two from my local homebrew shops as and when I need it, but Rob @ MaltMiller has flaked barley and unmalted wheat.

However, I have also used rice, pearl barley and bulgar wheat from the supermarkets, and I rather like the sound of the recipe link you posted.

EDIT: My local (whilst i'm in Uni) HBS does the barley & wheat so im sorted now. Cheers guys

UPDATE: My local HBS did me a good deal due to family connections, 2kg of flaked barley, 5kg of "Barley Grain" I think its pearl barley, he (the owner) and another homebrew customer said it was fine to use, and 3.2kg of whole wheat,all for £10.
Only slight problem is he didn't have any amylase and I cant find it my my local wilko's, is there anything else i can use as a substitute?

Sorry for ressurecting this thread but didnt know if starting another one would be the right thing, found this on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004QC71XW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20, is that any good, not that I need any for a long long time but I am just interested. I have also seen a couple of forum posts here and elsewhere about animal feed barley being suitable so I assume its something like this then?http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/farming..._medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back