Different Wine Yeasts.........?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpile1

Reaction score
Would someone with more experience in Yeasty matters than I, care to give their opinion on whether different varieties of wine yeast really makes a difference to taste or finish?

For instance has anyone ever made up a batch of wine, split in in half and added a different types of yeast in each half to see what the end result is?

Is there much of a difference? When I first started making wines all I used for everything was Youngs Dried Yeast, nowadays I buy the correct wine yeast depending on what it is I'm making. The end results don't seem to be much different - if at all.

I understand that some wine yeasts can ferment to a higher alcohol level before popping their clogs - that's fair enough. I'm talking about whether say a Youngs Burgundy Red Yeast would be different to using a Youngs Bordeaux Red......

:wha:

Just wondering is all..........

Well personally I try to steer away from most things with Young's labels.

Seriously though, all I use is a GP yeast compound. When I've tried varietal yeasts in the past I've never been able to detect much advantage.

I can tell a difference by splitting a beer wort and using two different brewing yeasts.

I have used Youngs GP Yeast, Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compound, Youngs Champagne Yeast and Lalvin K1-V1116 to make WOW, Easy White and various mixes of the two. I would say that the GP and SWYC give a similar (slightly harsh) taste, the Lalvin gives a smoother more fruity taste and the Champagne yeast somewhere in between. This of course is not scientifically proven but is my experience, given the choice I would always use the Lalvin yeast.

BTW I have just bottled 25 litres of 60% apple and 40% orange supermarket juice wine (not sure what to call it, maybe Easy WOW) made with Lalvin and a sachet of Oak chips. Taste when bottled is fantastic but no hint of Oak. Anyone else tried adding Oak chips with any success? I added them at the start and they where in there until first racking just over a week later.

Cheers all
Alibro

Back