Discoloured carbon wash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeslad

Reaction score
Ok people i have set up my carbon filter via a one meter lenght of 2" plastic pipe, half filled it with thew alcotec activated carbon and run my wash through it 3 times however im also picking up quite a lot of discoloration from the carbon, i did flush it through with water first and the water did run clear after firstly coming through dark so i thought i had got rid of any dust on the carbon, But my wash is still tainted any ideas friends?
cheers
lee.

Carbon filters sound pretty advanced. I feel bad just having kegged and bottled my brews straight from the FV

sorry i should have been a bit more informative!!,
the wash is an alcotec 48 de gassed,finings added etc, it was pretty clear before i ran it through the carbon filter. im currently running it through a course paper in a hibrite wine filter to see if that helps, gonna take a long time for 20 liters but ill get there!!

Leave it a while, all the fine carbon will settle at the bottom. After that run the clear stuff throught the tube again, should be ok.

I've had that sometimes and I've just triple filtered it and left it, when it clears just drink it :)

many thanks for the info, i did run it all through the hybrite filter through the night and it is now as clear as water!! it worked amazingly.

now i have clear filled demi jons sitting around...hmm now what do i do with it? lol

Get to tesco and buy some lowicz malina (raspberry syrup), it is amazing, I mix my "20% vodka" with abit of lemonade, it is my favorite drink on a warm afternoon.

Have you filtered it through the carbon three times ?
You can get flavourings from home brew shops. The irish cream
One makes a great baileys using elmlea instead of cream.
I just drink it as it is with tonic water :)

Latest posts

Back