Dishwashers and Stainless Steel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siscokid85

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondered if anybody on here has used or uses a dishwasher for stainless steel items / parts from their all in one, like malt pipes, plates / mesh gauze's?

I have a Braumeister and I am tempted by being lazy and just putting the malt pipe, plates and gauzes in, with the dishwasher top basket taken out and let it do its thing. Anybody have any thoughts as to if it will be OK?

I will take rubber seals off of course, heard of people using dishwasher tablets as an alternative for PBW so dont think the actual tablet is a potential issue. Just thinking about potential tarnishing / residue being present for the next brew.

Thanks in advance.

Well I've been putting my stainless steel cutlery in the dishwasher for the last 20 years without a problem, so I think you'll be fine.

Plus, I think the inside of the dishwasher itself is made from stainless steel. So tarnishing won't be an issue.

If you use rinse aid, there will be a residue of that which people say affect head retention... Not that I've noticed it on my glasses

I wash every parts fits into it every time, without any issues. Don't use scented tablets or rinse aid. And use the hottest setting.

Well I've been putting my stainless steel cutlery in the dishwasher for the last 20 years without a problem, so I think you'll be fine.

Plus, I think the inside of the dishwasher itself is made from stainless steel. So tarnishing won't be an issue.

If you use rinse aid, there will be a residue of that which people say affect head retention... Not that I've noticed it on my glasses

Oh yeah! never thought of that Duh!

Whats the thoughts on rinse aid then? drop the dosing to the lowest for the brewing gear?

Oh yeah! never thought of that Duh!

Whats the thoughts on rinse aid then? drop the dosing to the lowest for the brewing gear?
Dropping the rinse aid to the lowest level sounds a good plan. You can always give them a further rinse/wipe down afterwards if you want to be super cautious.

I doubt it'll have a huge effect on the beer. At most it'll affect head retention, and as I say, I've not noticed it do that and I stick my beer glasses through the dishwasher. Local water may differ around the country, so it may be different for other people

I've put smaller pieces in the dishwasher, but lobbing the pieces into your braumeister with some pbw and recirculating it hot would also do the job.
You are having to clean the kettle after all and your chiller.

On a further note has anyone tried using PBW instead of dishwashing powder / tablets when using the dishwasher for brew cleaning?

Don't use the dishwasher cleaning tablets though, the wife put an enamel pan in the dishwasher at the same time as the cleaning tablet and it took all of the shine off the pan and left it matte.

Knives can spot with rust due to the high carbon content.

Not had anything else rust.

Last edited:
What is this? People encouraging the misuse of electricity for a frivolous use by a character who personally describe himself as "lazy"? ... Best story-telling head on methinks ...

Don't do it!

Although dishwashers are constructed of stainless steel, it is alloyed with a rare metal called "unobtanium", which can only be mined in pristine forest environments to the detriment of threatened species of creatures and tribal cultures. Without the "unobtanium" ordinary stainless steel in dishwashers is reduced to a lace curtain structure full of extremely toxic byproducts.

Oooo, nasty stuff!

My system is quite bare (full mash BIAB in Maischfest) but I can have it clean probably quicker than I can empty the washer, take baskets out and reprogramme the rinse aid. Maybe I'm insufficient with my cleaning of the AIO though.

Quick swill of the trubb with fresh water and dump. Couple more litres and wipe down inside. Wipe down malt pipe and scrub mesh base thing. Grain bag and hop bags rinse under tap. Spoon and whisk rinse under tap. So far has come up sparkling and takes about 20 mins.

Whatever fits in my dishwasher gets cleaned in the dishwasher. It's just a CIP cabinet really. Good for trim-clamp seals too though they need containing in the cutlery basket or they'll be washed around. I wash off any loose organic material and bung in the dishwasher. Good for bottles too, the water really does get right up inside the bottle and give them a good clean...so swill out in hot soapy water in the sink to get rid of whatever I can get rid of, then a cycle in the dishwasher then into a bucket of starsan.

OKaaay. I am up for a bit of idle brewing...
And there is brownie points to be had here, as we need a new dish washer 😁 current model is on extended life support.

So the question becomes what is the best dishwasher for cleaning brewing equipment?

OKaaay. I am up for a bit of idle brewing...
And there is brownie points to be had here, as we need a new dish washer 😁 current model is on extended life support.

So the question becomes what is the best dishwasher for cleaning brewing equipment?
lavavajillas-de-arrastre-3.1.jpg

Back