Dividing a Coopers Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I fancy a go at Milk Stout using a Coopers Stout I have lying around, but I don't want 40 pints of it just in case I don't like it. So planned to make it up then syphon half off into another FV and add the lactose.

Question - could I do this at the end of fermentation, or does it need to be done at the start? At the end is better for me as I only have temp control for 1 x FV.

When does the recipe say to add the lactose?

Personally when I make stouts they are always toucans. My friends and I didn't like Coopers stout made with one can.
So if it were me I'd make it to the recipe and only brew it to 12-15 litres.

I just bottled a toucan a couple of weeks ago. It'll be a bit young for Christmas but it'll be drunk anyway.

Since its more or less unfermentable, it really doesn't make any difference when you add your lactose.
However, although others may know better, if I remember correctly from years ago lactose is difficult to dissolve. So I would put the lactose in at the beginning when you have opportunity to dissolve it in hot or boiling water, without diluting your brew later on.

Yeah, you can add it whenever. To dissolve and sterilise just mix it into some boiling water, then cool and add before bottling.

Agree with the advice on dissolving in boiling water - make sure it's completely dissolved before letting it cool, otherwise you'll likely lose the best part of it straight into the trub when you add it to the FV. This happened to me when I made a Coopers Stout and added lactose and 1kg of black cherries after the initial fermentation was complete. It still turned out to be one of the nicest stouts I've brewed.

Just looked back through my brew log and here's the complete recipe:

Coopers original stout kit
750g Dried malt extract
200g Molasses sugar
200g Brown sugar
75g Chocolate malt
1kg Frozen sweet black cherries (defrosted)
250g Lactose sugar

The chocolate malt was steeped in 2ltrs of water for 20mins at 65c, then strained and boiled before adding to kit with other ingredients. The lactose and defrosted cherries were added to the FV after the first week and left in until bottling.

Thanks guys, I'll probably let it ferment out then right at the end syphon off half into another FV and add the lactose, then leave for a few more days to clean up, then cold crash and bottle. :thumb:

What's the best way to toucan the stout?

Cheers

Clint

I haven't used the same recipe twice.

1 x Coopers Dark Ale
1 x Coopers Stout
200 g carapils steeped @ 75C 30 minutes, then boiled for 10 minutes
440g Dextrose
Both packet yeasts

1 x Coopers Dark Ale kit
1 x Morgans Stout
250g Dextrose
120g Carapils
250g Choc Malt

I've only made one stout with just one stout kit. In my opinion the toucan is far superior.

Thanks guys, I'll probably let it ferment out then right at the end syphon off half into another FV and add the lactose, then leave for a few more days to clean up, then cold crash and bottle. :thumb:

I could be interested in making a milk stout.
I think I'd probably get one tin of stout and brew to 15 litres though.
How much lactose would you add?
I think I might add it at the beginning.

Back