DME and Sucrose mix in a starter for a Belgian Tripel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyGsy

Reaction score
Morning all!

I'm planning on brewing a Belgian Tripel this evening, so have prepped a starter yesterday, ready to pitch.

However, I based the starter on half and half DME and Table sugar, with my only sachet of Belgian ale yeast. Looking at historical posts, this seems to have been a bad move.

Should I scrap the starter, order more yeast (I don't have a local brew shop asad1 ) and start again, or carry on regardless?

Yeast *seems* happy enough, bubbling away there, but I'm concerned it now may lack the capacity to metabolise maltose...

Cheers

Andy

Morning all!

I'm planning on brewing a Belgian Tripel this evening, so have prepped a starter yesterday, ready to pitch.

However, I based the starter on half and half DME and Table sugar, with my only sachet of Belgian ale yeast. Looking at historical posts, this seems to have been a bad move.

Should I scrap the starter, order more yeast (I don't have a local brew shop asad1 ) and start again, or carry on regardless?

Yeast *seems* happy enough, bubbling away there, but I'm concerned it now may lack the capacity to metabolise maltose...

Cheers

Andy
I've always used dryed yeast and rehydrated it. You can always add more yeast later if its not getting down to the fg you want.

Don't worry. Wort also contains glucose, which is the simplest sugar. If your yeast would not be able to ferment maltose anymore due to that, beer would not exist.

Westmalle also adds its sugar syrup in the boil, and that is a mix of glucose and fructose.

Don't worry. Wort also contains glucose, which is the simplest sugar. If your yeast would not be able to ferment maltose anymore due to that, beer would not exist.

Westmalle also adds its sugar syrup in the boil, and that is a mix of glucose and fructose.
Thanks for the reply - putting my mind at rest!

Latest posts

Back