Do I need a yeast starter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyral210

Brewing like a mad scientist
Reaction score
I’m using fresh yeast for the same time, and have a pack in my fridge for brewing a lager. Do I need to grow it in a yeast starter before I pitch it, or is one pack into my brew ok?

All advice is welcome 🙏🏻

You need to give some more information, batch size, expected OG and what yeast are you planning to use. For starters, a good tip, empty trub from kettle into a jug.
004.JPG

Place in the fridge to settle out pour off the clear sweet wort and boil, pour into clean bottles (the heat from the boiled wort will sterilise the bottles)
Keep till ready for use.
010.JPG

Can I use wort from the brew to make my starter? I don't have any extra malt extract.
It isn't giving you much time for your starter to build. What you could try is, use the wort from the brew, don't pitch the yeast until the following day. It isn't a high ABV brew so you should be right. I have done this (left overnight) many times, as here in Oz the temperature is to high I put my fermenter in my fermenting room to get the wort in the fermenter to pitching temperature.

It isn't giving you much time for your starter to build. What you could try is, use the wort from the brew, don't pitch the yeast until the following day. It isn't a high ABV brew so you should be right. I have done this (left overnight) many times, as here in Oz the temperature is to high I put my fermenter in my fermenting room to get the wort in the fermenter to pitching temperature.
That is what I was thinking. Syphon off wort, chill the main batch and keep the demijohn at 20C.

Do I need to pour the top of the starter before pouring?

That is what I was thinking. Syphon off wort, chill the main batch and keep the demijohn at 20C.

Do I need to pour the top of the starter before pouring?
Don't forget to boil the wort you have kept for the starter to sterilize it, let it cool add your yeast and keep giving it a shake to get some oxygen into it.
I pitch the lot.
Looking at your expected OG you aren't going to need a big starter.
Have a look at this video, it may help you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back