Do you remember.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody remember going to the corner shop and they had a till like this with old money in it
20210407_190717.jpg

I remember giving bus fare in a mixture of old money and new. Old sixpence = 2 1/2 new pence plus a new 1/2 made 3 new pence for my bus fair to school

I remember giving bus fare in a mixture of old money and new. Old sixpence = 2 1/2 new pence plus a new 1/2 made 3 new pence for my bus fair to school

I seem to remember a saying at infant school something about using old copper in sixpenny lots not sure why.

The Scaffold started doing adverts and sang little ditties to try and help older people grasp the changer over of coins
In early 1971, they provided some catchy tunes for inclusion in a television publicity campaign heralding the introduction of decimal currency to the UK. In this series of five-minute programmes, titled Decimal Five and shown on BBC1, they sang such inspired lyrics as "Give more, get change" and "Use your old coppers in sixpenny lots".

I can remember going swimming on a Saturday with 10p. 3p bus fare each way and 4p entrance fee.
And, it was me and a mate on our own. We were 7 years old at the time 😬

Yes I remember that day WELL unfortunatly, it was the day Everyone got ROBBED by the Government. There were 240 old Pennies to the Pound then overnight it went to 100 new P to the pound. It's a pity Guy Fawkes got caught

Does anybody remember going to the corner shop and they had a till like this with old money in itView attachment 44748
There's a pub local to me called The Rose and Crown, but known locally as Eli's.
They still had a drawer for the cash like this up until last year, when they "modernised" and got a proper cash register!

Yes I remember that day WELL unfortunatly, it was the day Everyone got ROBBED by the Government. There were 240 old Pennies to the Pound then overnight it went to 100 new P to the pound. It's a pity Guy Fawkes got caught
I love this post about old units of measure that were crazy. So here's a few do you remember the following (3 groats to the winner)
1. How many old pennies to a Noble?
2. Your many chains to a furlong?
3. How many pounds to an imperial ton?
4. How many miles to a league?
5. At what temperature does water freeze in degrees F?
6. What temperature is absolute zero in degrees F
7. How many pints in a gallon?
8. How many BTU's in 1 horsepower?
9. How many Marks to the pound £?
10. Why does the US still use F, gallons, pounds etc?

I don't know if these were popular in the UK but they were all the rage in the late 70's/early 80s. It seems like I had just gotten one and suddenly everyone else had switched to BMX. :(

a1558515791_10.jpg

We had the Chopper.

Yes the gear selector was aimed at your nuts when in third gear. :laugh8:

1617894201286.png
1617894245355.png

Latest posts

Back