Do you use pressure barrels or bottles for your home-brewed BEER?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use pressure barrels or bottles for your home-brewed beer?

• I mostly or always use a KingKeg pressure barrel

• I mostly or always use a cheaper brand of pressure barrel

• I mostly or always bottle it

• I use pressure barrels and bottles

• I no longer use KingKegs due to leaks

• I no longer user cheaper brands of pressure barrel due to leaks

• I use Cornies!

Results are only viewable after voting.
You could well be right. But perhaps the question you should asking is why should it be necessary to be regularly carrying out (or avoiding) any of those issues on something as low tech as a PB. In comparison I have a breadmaker which is slightly more technically advanced only cost a little more than a PB, and its been used 3-4 times a week for 5 years and all that happens to that is the ingredients go in, we plug it in, press some buttons, and a few hours later we get a loaf. And all we have to do then is to wash out the bread tin. There must be many other similar examples.

Another example would be a pair of shoes. Why should I bother to prep such a low tech item by correctly installing and tying the lases before going out. (I wonder why I regularly fall over in the street?).

Please don't take this personally terrym, I'm just pulling your leg.

I don't like PBs either, overpriced and when they fail they pee your beer onto the kitchen floor (my wife isn't a fan of this...).

As to bottled beer been too gassy, uhm, put less sugar in when priming? If still too gassy, pour into a jug first, then from jug to glass, smashes the CO2 out and gives you a nice smooth beer. I have a porter that yeah I overcarbed a bit to the point that my wife won't drink it if I don't use the jug trick first, as it's sharp tasting from the CO2. Do the jug trick with it, and the flavour is spot on, lovely beer.

Another example would be a pair of shoes. Why should I bother to prep such a low tech item by correctly installing and tying the lases before going out. (I wonder why I regularly fall over in the street?).

Please don't take this personally terrym, I'm just pulling your leg.
Because when you buy shoes with laces you understand that you have to know how to tie them up, or get your other half to do that for you.
Anyway if that's too difficult to take on board, there's always moccasins or flip flops.wink...

Because when you buy shoes with laces you understand that you have to know how to tie them up, or get your other half to do that for you.
Anyway if that's too difficult to take on board, there's always moccasins or flip flops.wink...

And if prepping a PB is too difficult there's always tinned beer at the supermarket. ;)

Or better dunk a pint glass into teh FV a thereby cutting out all intermediate steps.
No need for the pint glass, I just lay with my head under the leak from the tap on the FV because I didn't understand it had to be properly installed before filling the FV

No need for the pint glass, I just lay with my head under the leak from the tap on the FV because I didn't understand it had to be properly installed before filling the FV
I think you have got PB and FV confused. PBs usually come with taps pre-installed but still leak, just like their caps and their fittings.
Anyway my FVs haven't got a bottom tap. Much too complicated for me.

Don't know what all the fuss is about :laugh8:. I remember when I was a yoof riding a scooter (Lambretta) and later a motor bike (AJS 500cc single). Both needed regular tinkering, modding and repair. Both leaked oil. Loved it! Then first car was a Austin Healey Sprite. That got pimped to within an inch of it's life, or until the rust could support no more. All part of the experience. Whatever floats your boat I say. OK, if you don't like/use PBs you don't have to constantly rubbish something that others are happy to use. Just sayin.

Don't know what all the fuss is about :laugh8:. I remember when I was a yoof riding a scooter (Lambretta) and later a motor bike (AJS 500cc single). Both needed regular tinkering, modding and repair. Both leaked oil. Loved it! Then first car was a Austin Healey Sprite. That got pimped to within an inch of it's life, or until the rust could support no more. All part of the experience. Whatever floats your boat I say. OK, if you don't like/use PBs you don't have to constantly rubbish something that others are happy to use. Just sayin.

I don't as a rule. Somebody asked, I replied, end of. Some like bottles, some like plastic barrels, some like kegs etc etc etc. Honestly makes no difference to me what other people use. If somebody asks what my opinion of something is though, I will reply. :confused.: This is the 2nd poll though about pressure barrels of late, kinda seems somebody may be doing a bit of PB opinion baiting, to put it politely.

OK, if you don't like/use PBs you don't have to constantly rubbish something that others are happy to use. Just sayin.
Why not?
Just like you believe PBs are fine, I don't. So we post different comments.
That's what a forum is for.
To share experiences and ideas, which may sometimes be conflicting.
But provided the dialogue remains civil it's OK to disagree.

I use 2L PET bottles that formerly held cider for a lot of my beer. The rest is in the Coopers 500ml PET bottles that are easy enough to pick up in 24 bottle boxes.

PET is "virtually indestructible" according to a poster somewhere and some time on this Forum. I am inclined to agree. GW may prefer glass, but a PET bottle bounces off any surface and a glass bottle will not. PET bottles are close to weightless in comparison, and, if looked after, have "trippage rates" at least comparable to those of glass.

if you don't like/use PBs you don't have to constantly rubbish something that others are happy to use. Just sayin.
If something is regularly not fit for purpose then Terry's comments are a warning, not a trashing.

The poll should have had some extra options.

* I use pressure barrels and have never had problems with them.

* I use pressure barrels and am happy to tinker with them because they tend to need it.

* I have barrels, sort of hate them but I tinker with them.

* I have Stockholm Syndrome with my barrels. Their behaviour could be likened to that of an abusive partner but I'm going to stay with them for just a while longer because they might change, or maybe I can change them.... 8 years later and your head sags as you reach for the mop again and later order another box of co2 bulbs whose bodies stud a rubbish tip somewhere like the maggots crawling through the corpse of your relationship with that plastic *******.

Many years ago, I had a Boots PB with a thingy on the lid to add CO2 through. Absolute pain to clean and so easy to get air back-flowing through the tap. Mind you, the beer I made as a 20-something had few positive attributes beyond the "perception-altering". Some of the wines - especially the elderberry - did turn out to be worth drinking, around 4-5 years later. But that's a different thing.

Ben Turner "bitter" with a small amount of DME, a great load of Golden Syrup, 100g placky bag of brownish green Goldings.
Ditto Mild with a bit more dark DME and an equally enticing bag of Fuggles.
All brewed with Boots own "brewing" yeast.

If something is regularly not fit for purpose then Terry's comments are a warning, not a trashing.

* I use pressure barrels and am happy to tinker with them because they tend to need it.

* I have barrels, sort of hate them but I tinker with them.

* I have Stockholm Syndrome with my barrels. Their behaviour could be likened to that of an abusive partner but I'm going to stay with them for just a while longer because they might change, or maybe I can change them.... 8 years later and your head sags as you reach for the mop again and later order another box of co2 bulbs whose bodies stud a rubbish tip somewhere like the maggots crawling through the corpse of your relationship with that plastic *******.

Another magnificent contribution from the resident Count.
Am reminded of something the late Tom Petty once wrote:

I don't know, but I've been told,
If you don't slow down, you never grow old.

Well write your own poll! :laugh8: The first response in my poll is for people who mostly use KKs - presumably, they are happy with them as there is another option for those who have stopped using KKs. Likewise for cheapos.

Latest posts

Back