Does anyone open ferment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asalpaws

Landlord.
Reaction score
As a secondary question, if anyone does open ferment, have you noticed the flavours being improved?

Took a trip to Theakston's once and they brew in open fermenters and never have any issues with infection.

well I don't use an air lock, and my lids left loose on the f vessel.....don't know what you'd call that

from the books ive read the plastic containers we all use is a sort of open fermenter , as most tend to either peek in or leave lid slightly off .

Must admit I'm a compulsive peeker, in fact I like to use a clear plastic FV that way I can kreuzen watch without beard hair etc falling in the brew. If I rember correctly in Theakston's they were only using the Yorkshire squares when the brew was at high kreuzen, which essentially means a 3 foot thick layer of yeast stopping anything falling in the beer. I'm tempted to try it, maybe with Wyeast London ale, which seems to stay on top even after fermentation finishes.

"Open" fermentation currently means "without pressure", that's what we have in fv's no matter with or without airlock. I saw this in one traditional brewery in Czech Rep. and the whole fermentation cellar was like one big fv, covered above by concrete ceiling instead of plastic. ;)

True "open fermentation" is what they do in Belgium with lambics, they deliberately leave fermenting beer uncovered to get it contaminated with wild yeast.

quote....

True "open fermentation" is what they do in Belgium with lambics, they deliberately leave fermenting beer uncovered to get it contaminated with wild yeast.

always sounds risky to me, especially for a business. To try and rely on the correct " wild" yeast to infect and brew your beer ? Law of averages says you must get the wrong yeasts sometime, and that's an awful lot of beer and money to waste

I always end up with loads of head space in the FV as I can only make 12 L batches. Must say the London ale yeast practically seals the beer, I had to spear through it with the racking tube to get the beer off.

piddledribble said:
quote....

always sounds risky to me, especially for a business. To try and rely on the correct " wild" yeast to infect and brew your beer ? Law of averages says you must get the wrong yeasts sometime, and that's an awful lot of beer and money to waste

Actually thats spontaneous fermentation open is just with out a lid

read a story on here before about somebody that got a weird look and a good telling off for asking their LHBS for an airlock to ferment beer...apparently it's barely needed, but I do like the security of being able to leave it for a few days after fermentation with no worries.

read a story on here before about somebody that got a weird look and a good telling off for asking their LHBS for an airlock to ferment beer.

twas me twas me.....

and so far its been good advice. I just have a loose lid to keep things from falling in. In the primary and when it goes into secondary I bang the lid on tight Co2 still squeezes out.

Yeah I'm starting to think that it would be fine with a good fermentation on the go. However I am the sort who leaves it in the primary for a couple of weeks due to laziness : )

piddledribble said:
quote....

If you ferment with a certain type of yeast continuously it is abundant in the air and on things in the brewery. The likelihood of that type of wild yeast outcompeteing other wild yeast entering your beer is high.

It only takes a few wild yeasts to contaminate....but hey they must get it right most of the time.
However in my little garage I prefer to take some precautions.

As they are a commercial brewery the pitching rate will be high to insure a quick fermentation (not the 2 weeks like we do). This high pitching rate will out compete any wild yeast that may get into the fermenter. Just need to rack/bottle/keg straight after it is done.

Nope not me - too many small holdings near me and too many nasties floating around in the air. Everything i brew is sealed until the airlock stops bubbling (non see through barrels) or i guestimate its finished and do a hydrometer test.

When I worked in Tollys brewery in Walthamstowe in 1967 the huge vats were completely open. I remember as a new worker being told to take a sniff, the CO2 nearly takes your nose hairs out!! It also puts your cigarette out if you lean over. There was talk of dead rats being hurriedly disposed of when the vats were drained, but I never saw one.

Latest posts

Back