Domed false bottom vs bazooka

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galvers

Reaction score
Any advice please?
I use a 10 gallon yellow igloo cooler with a bazooka tube for my mash tun and I batch sparge. I’m considering changing from a bazooka to a domed false bottom. Whilst I’m not strung out on efficiency, I reckon I could get higher then my current 68-70%. Welcome any experience you have on using both. Thanks Mike

I was using a bazooka but was getting about 60% efficiency,I made a copper manifold and it increased 10% immediately. By slowing my sparge I've managed another 2% or so. I'm happy with that.

I was using a bazooka but was getting about 60% efficiency,I made a copper manifold and it increased 10% immediately. By slowing my sparge I've managed another 2% or so. I'm happy with that.
Thanks Clint, so the wider surface area of the manifold did increase efficiency. Do you batch or fly sparge? Not sure I could manage to make one myself!

I sparge using a jug a litre at a time (ISH!).
I'm no big deal at DIY but made the manifold quite easily. I already had the copper pipe,I bought the elbows and screw on bit for the tap,some hack saw blades to cut the drain holes...or you could drill them,and borrowed a proper pipe cutter.

When it comes to sparging I drain the first wort then refill the mash tun with fresh hot water, leave for 30 minutes then drain. Repeat once more and I'm done. Brew house efficiency nudging 80%.

That sounds like a really good and simple idea! That fresh hot water: how hot is hot?

Mash temperature plus 4-5C (69-70C for me). If you're not recirculating give the second and third mashes a stir at the beginning and again after 10-15 minutes. You can also give the bag a squeeze at the end to get as much wort out as you can.

Thanks. I'm going to try that next time. Obviously I'll need to reduce the mash water volume a fair bit, and make it up with more sparging water.

Latest posts

Back