Doughing in and batch sparg question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jampot

Reaction score
When you guys dough in, do you take in the stirring time it takes to mix the mash? Say start to stir at 68 until the mash reaches 66 ? How long do you stir? Is there an art in stirring ie dos and donts. I read somewhere aboy trying not to "foam" How long do you stir between each batch sparg etc. I have done many batch sparges but am left feeling my eff is too low 68-70% and want to improve my technique....

what type of sparge do you do ? i now step mash and have gotten 80% in my last 2 attempts , just stirred it for about 2 mins , stirring well but gentle then leave for 60 plus mins then when i step mash i up the temp to 76c then leave for about 20 mins using a cooler box ,what do you do and use ?

I wouldn't call 68-70% a disaster - is your beer good? I doubt that there is anything in the minute detail of your mashing regime that a problem.

My own efficiency calculations for a 5 gallon brew is around 70-72%. However when I brew a 10 gallon batch I find that my efficiency goes to nearer 80%. I haven't really tried to squeeze more out - I now just punch in the figures and brew. I use my historical brewing efficiency to help me work out my recipes - it isn't something I am necessarily looking to improve on. If I was to up the efficiency I might save a few pence on grain but at what cost of quality?

People who fly sparge tell of greater efficiency than those of us who batch sparge. It might be worth getting a hold of a spinny sparger and see if this helps improve your efficiency.

I can fly or batch sparg. Use a cool box. Step sparg? No idea what that is.

BigYin was talking about doing overnight mashes and he noticed an increase in efficiency. Perhaps a longer mash might work for you?

Always do an overnight mash to break up the brew day.... :thumb:

When you dough in try to gently stir up the dough balls. If you have dough balls (clumps of grains) the enzymes can't work, and you won't get conversion from the dough balls. I stress gently because you want to avoid hot side aeration, which is not as much of a true risk as one thought. So long as you aren't splashing around in the mashtun you should be fine.

I start my clock once the mash hits the temp in going for whether I'm shooting for a protein rest or just a sacchrification rest. It took me a while to get the temp down, and that just takes practice with your system. On my system I dough in 10* hotter than my mash temp, and then with a recirculation I'm usually right on target within 2 minutes of doughing in.

I worked for a few months to get my mash efficiency down to 70% from 80%. Too high a mash efficiency is not a good thing. You should be shooting for 70%.

The overnight mash is not really recommended. After 15 minutes most of the conversation is done anyway, and left over night the mash is very prone to a bacteria infection starting a fermentation which even when boiled will still produce a sour wort.
---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.650721,-121.009329

Latest posts

Back