Dry Jan - Sod off!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portreath

Landlord.
Reaction score
Dry Jan has officially been kicked into next year. After taking a few samples of the porter and stout that have been sitting in the barrel since November the taste is back.
Me and the wife did the new year resolution thingy and backed off the booze, chocs, crisps and bickies etc for a while.
So after losing a just shy of 13lbs each, coupled with the fact that we are off work now until Monday, both myself and Mr P have agreed that it's now time the previously mentioned brews are given a right royal seeing to! :beer1::cheers3: Cheers all.

That is a lot of weight for a shirt period of time, well done.

Last lent I have up biscuits, ended up not touching one until Xmas. I need to give them up again. Don't have them often but once I stopped I had no sugar cravings and felt so much better

Yes,I'm doing dry January. Theres no way I'm drinking any bought beer (unless it's left over Christmas pressies or in the pub) until February...

The better half and I decided that rather than do dry January, or something, we'd try and make small changes that we could live with indefinitely. So we're not dieting, but changing our diet to eat less rubbish. I haven't stopped drinking, but don't drink so much, in the week particularly. That sort of thing.

I've lost half a stone and don't really feel like I'm missing out.

Lost any weight...? I don't think so..but my trousers don't seem any tighter either.
Totally unrelated....I went round the house earlier and collected together the ever growing mountain of loose change in pots,cupboards,whisky bottle...etc...came to nearly £150....which can be used to purchase some supplies after I've divvied up half to the Mrs...now that's a weight off my mind!

I can never see the point in Dry January, or Abstinence April or NoChoc Novembers or whatever they dream up next. If whatever it is is so bad for you then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place, and also if you lay off something for a month and then return to it as before, what's the point of putting up with all the grief for that month. So why not give up in the first place, or just reduce what you believe to be 'bad' for you. So for example if you drink beer every night why not have say one,two or even - perish the thought- three days where you don't drink, but if New Years Eve falls on one of them or you are on holiday don't let that spoil your enjoyment, have a drink. There are enough things in life to make you feel miserable and piling on more by self inducing extras is not really necessary imo. And if its weight loss in particular you are trying for, simply cutting down on a few things like crisps and biscuits and cakes and dare I say it alcohol and things like using the stairs instead of using the escalator are hardly noticeable really. But if you keep them up for good they will give you the weight loss you are looking for and whats more it will stay that way.

They ought to introduce a wet ( insert random month here) to show all these boring teetotal types what they're missing out on. Force it down 'em with a stirrup pump or whatever.

Horses for courses I guess. I'm happy to have lost a fair few pounds from the mid section, and I'm now able to get back into my smaller jeans..yay!!
Having said that I certainly won't be pushing my lifestyle choices on anyone. Totally agree @jjsh it's a matter of cutting back and moderation. My trouble is when I have a drink, I raid the store cupboard, so tend to pile it on through eating **** as well. So long term, our plan is to only tipple on a none work night, and eat less junk. As it's the start of a new year, January felt like an appropriate time to start, I've not missed drinking every evening, or shoveling junk down my throat, in fact the last 3 weeks or so have been good fun. @Leon103 We are planning to give something for lent again this year, wife says drink I say chocs!! who will win???

Roll on Febrewery. Its the small pubs i feel sorry for they struggle to survive this growing fad. I do my bit mind

Latest posts

Back