Dumb question about my first bitter kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fliski

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im just over a week through my first dark bitter kit (Norfolk NOG) which is my second kit overall.

Basically, it seems like the sediment is all at the top- It has bitties which I guess are yeast casings floating at the top (small brown flakes). Its at the right gravity to bottle. Am I dumb or should I syphon this from the bottom or something?

I can take some pictures if this makes no sense to you guys.

Pretty confused right now lol

I'd let it set undisturbed for another week to be honest before bottling it, hopefully everything will have dropped to the bottom by then

Hey guys, so I let it settle for a week. No change at all. I put some finings in and 4 days later it still looks the same.

Am I supposed to syphon from the bottom? The bitties seem to be floating near the top

Take some pics. It sounds like the normal yeast head from your description, but if it's still floating at the top after a week, it may be something else.

Someone will surely have a better reply once they've seen it :)

fliski said:
Am I supposed to syphon from the bottom?

I have a valve that sits on the end of my syphon tube which means I shove it to the bottom of the fv and it takes the liquid from about one cm above the sediment. I end up with no floating particles from the top and no sediment from the bottom, if I'm careful... :D

Latest posts

Back