Durden Park - Old British Beers

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thanks very much. I did find the recipe, somewhere in the conversation I started referring to the wrong book! Now reacquainted with my Durden Park book again!

My 45L of Morrell & Co 1889 Bitter (not Durden Park) started fermenting last night (after a very long brewday yesterday). Mashing Chavallier malt "Hochkurz" fashion (mashed for 2 hours 40 minutes in 4 steps, the bulk at 62-3C) seems to work well; I was 3 points over estimated OG. Remains to be seen if the wort's fermentability was improved.
Thanks peebee. I found the recipe for your Morrells Bitter on my printer this morning and couldn't remember why I'd printed it. Going to give it a good looking at, together with the entire blogspot.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
The kooky mash schedule certainly worked for me. SG after 4 days is 1.0115 (precise "pycnometer" testing, not uncertain hydrometer), or close on 80% attenuation. Quite astonishing for Chavallier barley malt and "Ringwood" yeast (WYeast 1187). Guess those old timers knew a thing or two about mashing!

The yeast is notorious for being "difficult" (stuck ferments, even if you get it to ferment) so plenty of recommendations to only use "fresh". Mine was 5½ months old! Still in "best before" but a lame duck in a lot of peoples eyes (me too based on past performance). But using a new attitude towards "difficult" starters, start very small (200ml starter) and step up (4 steps in all, over 4 days), the yeast performed very well (for 45L batch):

Morrells 1889 Bitter.JPG

The "Ringwood" yeast is new for me in these historic recipes. Normally I'd reach for the Whitbread Ale yeast (not the 1098 "dry" one, the WYeast 1099 one) or else the dried S-33 yeast.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
So, yesterday brewed my first one from the book - No. 2 1897 Harris- Browne Tonic Ale.

I did a 4 gallon brew so this is the recipe:

6Lb pale malt
2Lb 1oz Flaked rice
22oz sugar

76g Fuggles (I did 38g at 80m and 38g at 30m plus 15g at flameout instead of dry hopping it)

Yeast: CML 5

Target OG was 1.055

First problem - got my brew length wrong and it came out at 4.5 instead of 4 gallons.
Second problem - OG was 1.062
So if this gets down to an FG of 1.010 it's going to be about 7% ABV.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
So, yesterday brewed my first one from the book - No. 2 1897 Harris- Browne Tonic Ale.

I did a 4 gallon brew so this is the recipe:

6Lb pale malt
2Lb 1oz Flaked rice
22oz sugar

76g Fuggles (I did 38g at 80m and 38g at 30m plus 15g at flameout instead of dry hopping it)

Yeast: CML 5

Target OG was 1.055

First problem - got my brew length wrong and it came out at 4.5 instead of 4 gallons.
Second problem - OG was 1.062
So if this gets down to an FG of 1.010 it's going to be about 7% ABV.
I work on a general rule of 10 lb malt in 5 gallons to give an OG of 1050. So the rice yields a bit less and the sugar a bit more so you're spot on with 1062.5 (according to my scaling) with 4 gallons, but 4½ gallons should be 1055.55.

What size gallons are you using? Imperial or US?

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work o

I work on a general rule of 10 lb malt in 5 gallons to give an OG of 1050. So the rice yields a bit less and the sugar a bit more so you're spot on with 1062.5 (according to my scaling) with 4 gallons, but 4½ gallons should be 1055.55.

Gallons how retro I use Rods, Poles or Perches. 😂

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
UK obviously. Must be down to my awesome efficiency.

BTW even my kids (early twenties) are perfectly comfortable with imperial as well as metric units. I suppose Cheshire Cat has to convert all his road signs into Km before he knows where he is. :laugh8:

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I convert to leagues, but if Lord Snooty (JRM) gets his way it's back to furlongs, British Thermal units and LSD.