Elderly yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just pitched a WLP090 starter for Saturdays brew. The plan was two 1.5L steps, pitch half and save half.
Just checked the date on the pack, Use By 12/10/21, and yeastman gives a manufacture date of 15th April. That's 0% viability according to the calculators. I have heard that viability now is much better than when the calculators were first designed. I was thinking I'd eyeball the yeast after two steps. If I've got a good centimetre or in the bottom of the flask I'll split it and save half. If not I'll pitch the lot.

What are thoughts. Anyone else had success with older packs?

I'm in a similar boat (though not in quite such a rush) and commented on it here actually.

I reckon you'll be fine and I'd do (will soon be doing!) pretty much what you've outlined there - as long as it's been stored on etc I'm sure the yeast will work but deffo make a starter 👍

I'm in a similar boat (though not in quite such a rush) and commented on it here actually.

I reckon you'll be fine and I'd do (will soon be doing!) pretty much what you've outlined there - as long as it's been stored on etc I'm sure the yeast will work but deffo make a starter 👍
Great link to a bit of chat I missed at the time. Must check Brewlab out. I’m planning to get a couple of house strains into the brew fridge and this one is the first of the bunch. Cheers:hat:

If you've not done anything daft with them then there's enough for a starter in packs that are a couple of years old - can't remember what my last one was but 2+ years. In theory you only need one viable cell to get a starter going, although I wouldn't leave it that long...

Looks like we’re in business. Step 2 going on the stir plate. Should have something to pitch and something to keep this time tomorrow evening.
B34A928F-C25D-4172-B531-AB5E73101207.jpeg

Nice work fella 👍 Gives me optimism for my own similar plans.

"San Diego Super Ale Yeast"
- So what are you making by the way? Are you still perfecting your Session IPA?

Nice work fella 👍 Gives me optimism for my own similar plans.

"San Diego Super Ale Yeast"
- So what are you making by the way? Are you still perfecting your Session IPA?

Im brewing a mosaic APA today which should come in around 5%ABV, look out for the write up later. I’ve given this yeast a go in the hope it lifts the hop character a bit more than the usual US-05 type strains.
I think I’m pretty much there with the session IPA, V2.1 will be the next hoppy beer brew brewed once I’ve drunk this one.

Well, step 2 didn't add much to the volume of slurry so I ended up pitching the lot. (I do remember that from reading Yeast).
I was conscious that it's older yeast to start with and already on it's second generation. I thought it should have its day in the limelight, who knows I might even try to harvest some when fermentation finishes.
Next brew up is an Irish Red and Wy1084 is on the list for home propagation. Hopefully I'll get a fresher pack when that order comes through in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back