Equipment questions please :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look out for a used one...you'll get one for dead cheap or free.

I got a used fridge from fleabay for a fiver, tube heater flea bay for a tenner and an STC1000 temp controller for less than a tenner off Amazon.

I did BIAB for nearly 2 years before moving to the Brewzilla, and then my old Peco became my sparge water heater.

I appreciate that I may be swimming against the tide here - so apologies if this is heresy, but are you really sure you need to ferment under pressure? I appreciate that there may be advantages, but if your budget is tight then it seems like a lot of extra kit and complexity when you can ferment in a bucket for the time being and spend more of your budget on essentials like temperature control (old fridge + Inkbird) and/or a slightly more sophisticated all-in-one boil/mash setup (or a keg etc)

I appreciate that I may be swimming against the tide here - so apologies if this is heresy, but are you really sure you need to ferment under pressure? I appreciate that there may be advantages, but if your budget is tight then it seems like a lot of extra kit and complexity when you can ferment in a bucket for the time being and spend more of your budget on essentials like temperature control (old fridge + Inkbird) and/or a slightly more sophisticated all-in-one boil/mash setup (or a keg etc)

I can afford it all now! 😁 The Fermzilla is one of the cheaper things on my list. It would've been affordable for us anyway in our monthly money to be honest.

I don't want to ferment in buckets any more, my NEIPA's will be ruined :( Not risking it and gonna go the whole hog ha ha! We don't do things by half in our house if we can help it! athumb..

My husband is delighted I'm on board and we can do it together - although he's not as careful (OCD) as me so he's not touching my NEIPA's ha ha!

Last edited:
I bought a great serving tap with flow control and a stainless steel ball lock on aliexpress which was very cheap but it took ages to arrive. However, to be honest, I prefer using a party tap. It's easy to use, also to clean and it fits best in my fridge.

As for an all-in-one, I wouldn't buy the Brewzilla yet because the next generation (version 4) is due out in late summer and it should fix all the niggles of the existing model.

And if you have some cash, then a Kegland Fermzilla (or the Keg King equivalent) with the pressure kit, a cheap corny keg and a second hand fridge (with a way to control temperature) is the way to go. Transferring beer to my keg without getting any oxygen into it, revolutionised the quality of my brews. Especially IPA's.

If you prefer something a bit shinier, this is very good:

IMG_5827.JPG

Latest posts

Back