Erlenmeyer flasks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Taking the plunge into starter, and have just ordered an Erlenmeyer flask from Cream Supplies.

The bumf states that you shouldn't put directly onto the flame from a gas hob. What do people do, I gather that some folks don't bother with a gauze?

I don't use it on heat. I wish I could but I'm wary. Apparently boiling wort in Erlenmeyer flask will cause a massive foaming and is very likely to overspill. Given that we're boiling a sugary liquid, a spill could be extremely dangerous.

Would be interesting to see if anyone does use it on heat and their experience.

I don't use it on heat. I wish I could but I'm wary. Apparently boiling wort in Erlenmeyer flask will cause a massive foaming and is very likely to overspill. Given that we're boiling a sugary liquid, a spill could be extremely dangerous.

Would be interesting to see if anyone does use it on heat and their experience.
So presumably you boil in a saucepan then transfer to a sanitised flask?

Unfortunately yeah. I hate having to use a pot which otherwise gets used for food. Been fine so far but I'm always afraid that it's not clean enough.

Well, it's far too many years since I was in a lab and boiling stuff, but basically the purpose of the metal gauze is to diffuse the heat, so that extreme hot-spots don't develop on the bottom of the flask which could cause rapid expansion of the glass beyond its ability to "stretch", and so crack and destroy the flask. The typical lab set-up would be a bunsen burner underneath a metal tripod supporting a woven-mesh metal "gauze", usually with an asbestos centre ring to further shield the flask from the direct heat source of the single-flame bunsen.
I haven't tried it, but it does seem feasible that a ring-shaped gas burner is already spreading the heat, and so a heat shield might not be necessary. But, if it was my conical flask, than I'd definitely put a heat diffuser under it. Not a gauze nesessarily - you'd want this in the "bunsen" scenario, with a single intense flame, to allow adequate gas flow. But domestic hobs are designed to have wide pans on top of them, and so anything that would spread the heat would be fine - a cast-iron frying pan maybe?
Also, an endorsement for not boiling wort in a conical flask. You tend to get frothing any way you boil wort, so to boil it in a vessel that narrows towards the top will, as Marty suggests, almost certainly result in a very messy boil-over.

Well, it's far too many years since I was in a lab and boiling stuff, but basically the purpose of the metal gauze is to diffuse the heat, so that extreme hot-spots don't develop on the bottom of the flask which could cause rapid expansion of the glass beyond its ability to "stretch", and so crack and destroy the flask. The typical lab set-up would be a bunsen burner underneath a metal tripod supporting a woven-mesh metal "gauze", usually with an asbestos centre ring to further shield the flask from the direct heat source of the single-flame bunsen.
I haven't tried it, but it does seem feasible that a ring-shaped gas burner is already spreading the heat, and so a heat shield might not be necessary. But, if it was my conical flask, than I'd definitely put a heat diffuser under it. Not a gauze nesessarily - you'd want this in the "bunsen" scenario, with a single intense flame, to allow adequate gas flow. But domestic hobs are designed to have wide pans on top of them, and so anything that would spread the heat would be fine - a cast-iron frying pan maybe?
Also, an endorsement for not boiling wort in a conical flask. You tend to get frothing any way you boil wort, so to boil it in a vessel that narrows towards the top will, as Marty suggests, almost certainly result in a very messy boil-over.
Many thanks. I have to be honest, I thought that the very point of using an Erlenmeyer flask was to boil in it. I'll find something to use as a diffuser and give it a whirl I reckon. athumb..

Unfortunately yeah. I hate having to use a pot which otherwise gets used for food. Been fine so far but I'm always afraid that it's not clean enough.

Always good to be on the safe side when it comes to hygiene with beer athumb.. . But, even if you're paranoid (I'm not.... honest Guv......... asad.) then just boil a small amount of water in your pan for a couple of minutes. The pan should now be both sterile (for our purposes), and clean of any lingering food residues. Then boil your wort in your nice clean pan - and providing that your conical flask is of lab quality (and not standing on a block of ice - I'd use a wooden chopping board underneath it to minimise thermal stress), then pour the boiling wort into the flask, pop aluminium foil over the neck (and well down the flask as well - it will draw a significant amount of air back into the flask as it cools), and all should be well wink...

Always good to be on the safe side when it comes to hygiene with beer athumb.. . But, even if you're paranoid (I'm not.... honest Guv......... asad.) then just boil a small amount of water in your pan for a couple of minutes. The pan should now be both sterile (for our purposes), and clean of any lingering food residues. Then boil your wort in your nice clean pan - and providing that your conical flask is of lab quality (and not standing on a block of ice - I'd use a wooden chopping board underneath it to minimise thermal stress), then pour the boiling wort into the flask, pop aluminium foil over the neck (and well down the flask as well - it will draw a significant amount of air back into the flask as it cools), and all should be well wink...
Aha! I've never thought of

1 - sterilising my pot by boiling

2 - transferring the hot wort to the Erlenmeyer flask to cool. It'll be easier to cool in the flask than in the pot.

Since my earlier post I've decided to buy a cheap pot which will easily hold a 2ltr starter, and not use it for anything else.

I'm making a starter tomorrow so I'll try out these methods

I do boil in the erlenmeyer flask but I don't have a gas stove, I use it on a ceramic hob. I also plunge it straight into cold water straight from the hob, although it does scare the s***e out of me every time.

Re boiling over, yes it is a possibility but as long as you keep an eye on it then it's fine.

@Oneflewover

Your original post asked about gas and gauze, which I don't have. But tonight I'll try the Erlenmeyer flask on a ceramic hob, and get back with how I got on. It's a 3ltr flask and I'll only be doing a 1ltr starter, so the overspill issue may not be addressed properly. A bigger starter (I imagine) would be more likely to foam up and spill, than a small one.

I really hope this works as I'll find the whole starter making process a lot smoother

Can anyone tell me what the recommended size flask to get is please.
I would say at least 3L. Mine is 2L but it's not really big enough for a decent size starter. This was the result of trying to do a 1.8L starter in it:
B3kwBN5.jpg

I use mine on the gas hob and have never had any issues, maybe I'm tempting fate!

I also use a drop or two of antifoam which stops any boilovers.

I would say at least 3L. Mine is 2L but it's not really big enough for a decent size starter. This was the result of trying to do a 1.8L starter in it:
B3kwBN5.jpg
Wow which yeast was that and was it first gen? Even my WY1469 starters never creep up more than half an inch or so.

Wow which yeast was that and was it first gen? Even my WY1469 starters never creep up more than half an inch or so.
It's second gen Achouffe yeast WY3522 which is a bit of a beast, there was krausen on the starter 2 hours after I pitched it.

I've got two, a 2L and a 3L. The 2L I put directly on open flame and never had a problem with it. Bear in mind that unless you are putting it on a high rated (read: commercial) wok burner, a gas stove won't go near the temperatures attainable by a decent bunsen burner. The 3L I got from cream supplies, and for a price low enough to know that it can't be lab-grade, and indeed they do have their warning about direct flame. For that I have a gauze to diffuse the heat.

Back